What is it? LVI

Just added another set:

If you haven't seen it already, over the weekend I added a scanned shot from an 1894 edition catalog, that verifies #313, the burner cleaner. It's on the answer page to last week's post, thanks to Bill for sending that to me.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
315 Skeleton keys 316 Spoke wrench 317 Puzzle If the top piece is turned over, it will fit into the stack, forming a cube. 319 Auto valve stem cover.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
  • R. H.

315 keys

316 317 Soma cubes 318 Oar fork for rowing boats (whatever such things are called in English)

319

320 old thing to remove isolation from electrical wires
Reply to
Jon Haugsand

the word you are looking for to describe 318 is rollocks

Reply to
Peter
  • snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.xcom.xau

Are you sure. Could not find that word using dict, but rowlock was there:

rowlock n : a holder attached to the gunwale of a boat that holds the oar in place and acts as a fulcrum for rowing [syn: {peg}, {pin}, {thole}, {tholepin}, {oarlock}]

But thanks anyway.

Reply to
Jon Haugsand

315. You otta be ashamed! Too simple. the lower one is a blank that hasn't been cut yet. to fit a particular use. 316 predecessor to a vice-grip plier.

it would be helpful to know what the lettering says, can't _quite_ read it. Top line is "A {something} MFG CO" mid line is location. {something} MICH I think bot line is "PAT MAY 29 34

317. a dis-assembled cube.

318. a 'fork' of some sort, obviously. Tuning fork, maybe? or maybe an old-style stethoscope?

319. "What do you get when you cross a thumb-screw with a thimble?" :)

it would be useful to know what the lettering says, above the knurled section.

320. Authoritatively -- what you get when you cross a rhinoceros with an elephant. It's an "elephino".
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I think oarlock is more common. Never heard 'rowlock' before.

Reply to
fredfighter

Oarlock is an Americanism. Rowlock is the Brit equivalent.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

No, it's true.

(boom boom)

Reply to
Peter Morris

If 318 is a rowlock/oarlock then it is lying on some Really coarse fabric!

Reply to
Fred R

The spelling is 'rowlock' but it is pronounced 'rollock'. Much as 'gunwale' is pronounced 'gunnel' or 'boatswain' is pronounced 'bosun'.

Reply to
Larry Green

318 is the junction of a stethoscope...links the ear hoses to the part that the Dr. puts on your chest. 320...a saw tooth set?
Reply to
rhiannon

A friend worked on the tall ship Gazella, and once gave me a tour. After a while I caught on that things like "midsil" were actually the mid SAIL.

I developed a theory that, when on deck with your face encrusted with ice and your pearly whites clattering together, shortening words as much as possible becomes a biological necessity. :)

Reply to
Tim Mullen

Jeez, you have some great stuff in your collection, Rob.

I'll take a stab at some of them for the first time:

315. A set of skeleton keys.

317. A wooden Rubic's Cube?

308. Stair buttons for use on a framing square.

309. A drafting duck?

310. A pencil sharpener.

312. The same principle as that used in a lot of ancient Roman masonry: any combination of blocks, looked at from below, has more than 50% of its weight

*behind* the edge of the block the stack is resting upon.

314. A Curta mechanical calculator.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Oarlocks

Reply to
Gary Brady

Agreed. Rowlock is a masonry term. A row of brick laying on edge capping the top of a freestanding brick wall is a rowlock.

Reply to
Gary Brady

315. Boy key and girl key. Joined with a ring, used to make more keys. 316. Mechanical pirana. 317. Wooden salt crystals. 318. Paper towel partially obscured by a thing. 319. Heh. 320. Robot tourniquet applicator.
Reply to
B.B.

It's a tuning fork. Possibly a "C" tuning fork.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:40:06 GMT, "R.H." wrote in rec.woodworking:

315. Keys 316. Not Keys 317. Puzzle 318. Not Puzzle 319. Phallic Thimble 320. Random-length dog nail clipper

I'm pretty certain that #316 is from Menominee, Michigan. Perhaps used for straightening wire spokes?

--

  • TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

Also:

TomH

315: Keys to warded locks.

318: dipstick

320: Looks like a bypass cutting tool that might have been modified for a specific purpose.
Reply to
Matthew Russotto