What is it? LVI

'bosun'.

Well, that explains Balmore, MD. It's a port city.

Reply to
fredfighter

But in the area closest to the docks, it's "Bal-TEE-more".

Reply to
Matthew Russotto
318 front forks - bicycle 315 the keys to my old electricity meter 317 your arrangement of wooden blocks? very nice... 320 wire stripper
Reply to
ancienthistoryman

This one is marked "A. Dudley Mfg. Co., Menominee, Mich., Pat. May 29-94".

Reply to
R.H.

All but one have been correctly answered::

315. Skeleton keys

316. Spoke wrench

317. Soma puzzle

318. Tuning fork, note E

319. Old Michelin tire tube valve stem cap

320. No correct guesses yet

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Ayup. that confirms it. high wheel bicycle spoke wrench.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Again -- answering from rec.crafts.metalworking

315) "Skeleton" keys -- used for morticed door locks for internal doors in a home. These look pretty new, but the locks which they fit are probably quite old. 316) Hmm ... perhaps for holding typewriter typefaces on the typebars while they are being soldered in place? 317) Your puzzle photo is a photo of a puzzle. :-) I think that the blocks are each hinged to one or more adjacent blocks, and one solution is to make a solid cube with them. 318) The joining part of a stethoscope? The two earpiece hoses connect to the upper right, and the single hose going to the "pickup" connects to the lower left. 319) Hmm ... seals and protects something. Perhaps a bleed vent for steam or compressed air? 320) Perhaps another typewriter repair tool? I'm not sure that even having it in my hands would tell me more. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
  • R. H.

What /is/ "skeleton keys"?

Ah! This is my solution.

No oarlock or rowlock then?

Reply to
Jon Haugsand

Also called a pass key, they supposedly work on a wide variety of locks.

Nope, it's a little too small for that.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Excellent guess, this is correct.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

#315 A pair of universal keys for warded locks. The wide side cuts allow the keys to pass the wards. Not necessarily very secure, as a universal key could be produced from a standard key with a file.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

There's also "oarlock", but that doesn't look like one. It looks kind of like the Y from a stethoscope.

CHeers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The word is rowlocks, pronounced rollocks

A bit like boatswain and bosun

Reply to
Roy Dennis