What is it? LXXIII

This week's set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
  • R. H.
418 Spikes: used to ensure that record players get as little feedback as possible from the speakers. Placed under the record players legs. 419

420 Hole making thing (with a drill).

422 Chinese navigation instrument

423 Sheep wool scissors

Reply to
Jon Haugsand

418 ? 419 ? 420 Pipe reamer, used with a brace to smooth out inside of black or galvanized pipe after being cut with a pipe cutter. 421 ? 422 Early model pocket watch? Looks like a small portable sundial with a built in compass and sticks to adjust tilt of tables for time of year. 423 Hand sheep shears(w/broken blade)
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Howdy........

420 Counter Sink bit for a Brace 422 Some sort of Navigation or Surveying device of asian origin 423 Sheep Shears with one of the points broken off.
Reply to
bremen68

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

418. CDC approved points for contemporary "bed of nails".

Must be taken off and sterilized before being used by next fakir, to avoid transmission of blood borne diseases.

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Anti-zerk fittings.

Looks like felt, some kind of patch or insignia?

Pipe reamer.

Pencil breaker.

I like this one, it's very cool. I'll say it's a Chinese astrologer's tool, but it could be some sort of navigation device too. I think..

Sheep shear with a broken blade.

Reply to
JohnM

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews1.newsguy.com:

This one is very interesting. At first I thought it was perhaps for navigation (align it N-S using the compass, and then somehow use the tilting sundials for determining latitude). But I think it's probably not for serious navigation. I beleive it's used somehow in Feng Shui to determine the proper alignment of things.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

418...... replacement spikes for loggers boots (thread into sole.) ?

Reply to
Sanity

Or maybe the studs for winter tires in Northern Ontario. I don't recall ever seeing it done, but I understand that they "screw" in, and are replaceable.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

418. Indoor target points for arrows 419. 420. Countersink/reamer for use with a brace. 421. Adjustable wire/cable stripper 422. 423. Sheep Shears
Reply to
RAM^3

418 Car door edge protectors. You drill and tap holes near the corners of your car doors, then screw them in. They protect the edges of your car door whenever you open the door in a parking lot. Creates cool "bullet holes" in the neighboring car's fender when they don't park within their space. 419 This is the standard diagram for showing where to put an "out of order" sign above a doorbell. 420 An accessory from the All-Metal Mary Poppins play set.

421 Tongue piercing tool. Makes up to four holes at once.

422 A sundial with both hour and minute hands. It is also a do-it-yourself acupuncture kit. You align it to magnetic north using the compass (for maximum Qi) and sit on it carefully.

423 Shears, apparently used to cut steel wool off of steel sheep.

-- A Clown Grin

Reply to
Carl G.

#418 Shoe spikes - golf maybe, or running

#420 Pipe reamer, for big soft lead pipes (lots of cutting edges).

#422 Portable sundial. Compass to align it and variable inclination for lattitude.

#423 Shears, probably for trimming livestock. They've obviously had their sharp points removed, so they may be for cosmetic grooming in less than experienced hands. The sheep shearers I've seen avoided any premature kebabing of their charges by just being skillful instead.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

#422 is plainly a sundial/compass combination. The compass would be used to align the gnomen to due south.

But what is the function of the second gnomen/dial on the opposite side of the compass? A moondial?

Reply to
fredfighter

418. Layout transfer points for tapped holes 419. ? 420. Deburring reamer 421. Hand punch, but don't know the specific 422. Chinese navigational device 423. Sheet shears, broken

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

422. Chinese (or Japanese?) portable sundial. Remove from pocket; unfold, set the elevation angle of the pointer (gnomon) to the latitude of the user (by city, perhaps), use the compass to rotate so North is correctly oriented, then tell the time of day if the Sun is shining. I haven't quite worked out why there are two foldups; perhaps one side is for summer and the other side is for winter, when the shadow on the other side is not seen?
Reply to
Mike Dworetsky

Paw Quaw (spelling?) for chinese feng shui.

At least that's my guess

Koz

Reply to
Koz

419: Ipod? :)
Reply to
Tim Mullen

418: Centering point.

419: "Do not look into laser with remaining eye"

420: Reaming head

421: World's most difficult to use hole punch

422: A local US highway, not fun to commute on. Or perhaps a Chinese navigation tool (I'm guessing the center part is a compass, the others are used for measuring the sun angle)

423: Dunno, maybe horse-related?

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Silly, the other side is for daylight saving time :-)

Mark & Juanita