What is it? Set 279

Google provides access to a book by Lazarus White. It says about 1800 the Manhattan Company installed an iron tank to supply 1400 houses through 20 miles of mains. The tank is within a 4-story building, so I guess pressure at the street would have been about 15 psi.

The book says that in 1880, in many parts of the city, water would reach only the second story of a house. That would be about 5 psi at the street. I see why tall buildings had tanks.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Hi again,

There was a piece on "Dirty Jobs" about the company (and they seem to have a lock on it) that replaces the roof tanks.

I found it fascinating...

The whole process was virtually unchanged from the era of the 1880s.

The machines were all original from that era.

'Great...

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

I estimated the date about 1850 from a Public TV program that happened to run a couple of days ago, about the NYC water works. I may be confused. Maybe they were talking about the tank installed by the Manhattan Company, which went into business in 1799.

If NYC buildings needed their own pumps in the 1880s, I imagine pressure was lower than today in most of America. Even where a high water head was available, Wouldn't modern water pressure would have fatigued masonry and plumbing? (A municipal system with 80 PSI at the street could supply a toilet 18 stories up.)

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Hi again,

My recollection of the details is vague, but...

I do remember that there was a legal requirement that water in NYC be supplied by the city to a particular pressure. (According to some stuff I found online, that level is

85PSI.)

But, quite obviously there are many buildings in the Apple quite a bit taller than the 18 or so stories that would get you.

Hence, the tanks...

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Consider that when it gets jammed into the clamp, its *not* flattened. If it were a hose clamp, it would have to accept a full and pressurized hose.

I think there are some other options we are not considering. Since Stearns made bicycles, and later cars, there is a possibility that this is some component of either. I propose some of the following:

--a retainer for some sort of strap...maybe to hold the brakes or to hold the hood up or something

--some part of a bicycle...maybe on a trailer or to tow something

--a rein holder on a carriage

--a universal axle wrench

or the Universal "What Is It" default....a carpet stretcher.

--riverman

Reply to
riverman

I've checked the New York Times. In 1906, the pressure at hydrants in the Wooster Street area (southern Manhattan) was 21 - 34 psi.

In 1908, firemen set up a portable water tower that produced 120 psi. It burst a 6" pipe and 3 hoses.

In 1914 the Merchants Association in midtown asked for increased pressure. At the water plant, the head was 120 feet (51 psi), but at the point of use it wouldn't climb more than 4 stories. They said if it could be increased to climb 10 stories, their members would have $300,000 in pumping costs and reduce the cost of sprinkler systems. They claimed it could be done without damaging the water plant.

In 1917, the Water Department distributed 100,000 pamphlets warning that on April Fools Day, pressure would be increased from about 30 to about

60 pounds, depending on location.

On 83rd Street in 1920, firemen could get water to the upper part of a

5-story building, but only if they didn't use many hoses at once.

At one point in June of 1971, water pressure dropped as low as 10 psi, then returned to its normal 35 - 60 psi.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Without a shutoff nozzle, the hose wouldn't be pressurized until the clamp was closed.

I tried a 5/8" vinyl hose today. At 50F, it was probably much stiffer than a canvas hose a century ago. With water running, I could squeeze it flat enough with my fingers to feel the sides touch. Water still flowed. I think a mechanical clamp could stop the flow.

Water pressure around here is probably about 50 psi. A century ago in NYC is was about 20 - 35. It may have been lower in places where they didn't try to fight fires in tall buildings using mains pressure.

In a bouncing vehicle, wouldn't the clamp swing around its mounting screw? Wouldn't the jaws rattle?

I'd call it a wrench for very small axles.

Reply to
E Z Peaces