What is it? Set 474

I need some help with the second and sixth items this week, I think I know the last one but I'm not sure if it's for a specific use or not:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I am going to guess 2756 is an iron for some particular purpose that held a burning ember or coal. The holes kept the fire burning. The rounded corner may have been the shape needed to apply the heat.

2759 I will guess are Q.C. inspector's stamps.

2760 could be either a machinist's or cabinet maker's depth gauge. If the knob has graduations too, then it is certainly a machinists depth guage. Actually that would make sense since the scale on the side is graduated in increments of 0.025" so its purpose would be just to keep track of the number of turns of the micrometer.

The engraved signature is probably that of the owner who may have also made this.

It has some common features to the one in this link:

anorton

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Tecumseh engine air cleaner housing

Ladder jacks for scaffolding.

Reply to
DanG

2757 looks like a tire and wheel display rack, but I don't know why it is with bedroom furniture.
Reply to
DanG

2758 is bracketry to attach a scaffold board to a ladder. The adjustments are to get the scaffold level, whatever angle the two ladders are placed.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Hare

2759- I think since these are not mirrored, they are for stamping (pressing, really) numbers into sand molds or uncured ceramic molds. 27690- Early penetrometer or similar, apply a set pressure and see how deep the pin goes, or maybe just a simple depth gauge.
Reply to
spamTHISbrp
2755, looks like the screen around a paper air filter for a lawn mower. 2756, no clue. 2757, athletic supporter for Sumo wrestlers 2758, no clue. 2759, a way of measuring diameter of holes? 2760, depth gage for measuring holes?

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Posting from my desktop PC, as always.

Not for Sumo wrestlers? Really?

.

Nope - 2757 is a guitar stand.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like a good possibility, I've seen some unusual irons for hats but none quite like this one.

Yes, depth gauge is what I was thinking but I'm still not sure for what exactly. I'll ask the owner if it has any graduations. Not sure why the smallest measurement on it would be in fortieths. Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Ladder jacks is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

The linear scale on a modern micrometer is typically divided into fortieths. Each turn of the 40 t.p.i. screw is 25 thousandths.

This depth gauge probably also has a 40 pitch screw, the linear scale would keep track of the number of turns and the scale on the screw would give the exact reading, just like a modern micrometer.

Reply to
anorton

Thanks for the information, I'll pass it along to the owner, who just replied to my email saying that there are no graduation on his tool.

Reply to
Rob H.

2755) Looks sort of like a bench rest for a soldering iron, except that I don't see internal support for the iron to keep it away from the walls.

Perhaps a safety cage for a resistor dissipating a lot of power?

2756) Looks like a tool for pulling two pieces of modular construction iron or aluminum into the proper relationship before bolting them together.

2757) A portable stand for supporting something cylindrical. If it were taller, I might think that it was for supporting the bar of a set of barbells.

2758) For holding a tire open while either doing patching on the inside or fitting it to the wheel, or stuffing in the tube.

2759) If the bottom end is the mirror image of what is shown, then they are likely "inspected by No. xx" stamps.

If the visible end is what is used, it is for marking molds so the number will be the right way around on the cast part.

2760) Perhaps a tool for shaping sand for sand casting of a bell? It is placed and then rotated to sweep out the proper shape.

If so, then there should be a matching one for shaping the part which defines the inside of the bell. Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

This is the same as a micrometer, which is built with a 40 TPI thread, and the thimble is divided into 25 divisions, to allow measuring to 0.001". You don't think of the major divisions as being fortieths, but rather 0.025".

I must admit that I got a late start on this batch, and missed the pointers.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The owner is wondering why the probe is pointed and not flat, anyone know? Maybe it's because drill bits are slightly pointed.

Still not sure about the second item in this set but the rest of the answers have been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Drill hole depth gauges still use narrow pins for the reason you noted, but then they do not need to have such large bases. Since this looks like a one-of-a-kind, machinist-made tool, it could be the maker desired to make it as general purpose as possible. A pointed tip also helps let you know when you have just barely made contact by feeling resistance when it scrapes sideways across the bottom. This might be helpful if the screw has some backlash.

BTW, if there are no graduations on the screw or nut, I have to believe there is at least one indicator mark on it so the user could at least estimate what fraction of a turn it has been rotated.

Reply to
anorton

2756: It looks as if it were made in a welding shop. What about applying flux to a hot joint while welding or brazing?

I imagine you'd burn a brush if you applied flux to a hot joint. If you put paste in this tool and pressed it to a hot joint, perhaps the paste would melt and flow through the eight holes in the bottom.

Perhaps it would stop flowing when you lifted the tool from the hot metal. The holes in the door would show the user how much paste was left.

Reply to
j Burns

I know this is a long shot, but what about a rivet temp hold tool. where hot rivets were put in and kept hot on top of a pot belly stove or something since the tray slides in and out the hieght is adjustable for longer shorter rivets. Seems far fetched. But hey that's all I got

Reply to
tiredofspam