What is it? XLIX

Thanks, I'll have to do some research on this.

Reply to
R.H.

I've been going to a web site that translates to and from roman numerals, since they are kind of tricky if you don't use them very much.

Reply to
R.H.

You might be right, it is just part of a camera, I'll post a photo of the whole piece in a day or two.

Reply to
R.H.
272. Some kind of clamp, but I don't know what for.

273. Lathe dog.

274. Pinstripe painter. Fill the bottle with paint, invert it, and roll paint on with the wheel. If not for paint, then some other liquid, maybe adhesive.

275. Thing for throwing clay pigeons when shooting skeet. (Save the poor, defenseless skeets! ;-)

276. Camera iris.

277. Tee-nut for wood or particle board.

Now, I'll go read the other answers on rec.crafts.metalworking...

-Ron

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

The shutter is behind the iris. The iris is first opened to the calculated/selected F-stop, then the shutter opens briefly.

What we're looking at here is the iris.

Reply to
Patrick Hamlyn

From rec.ww

#272 Clamp for attaching to a metal strip #273 Frame to hold a bearing #274 Small carbide lamp? #275 Hand trap for throwing clay pigeons #276 Camera iris #277 'Tee' nut for putting threaded holes in plywood, mdf, etc.

Mark & Juanita

No, unfortunately I can't find one quite like that and I must admit that I'm only speaking from what I've heard others call them. Lathe dogs generally have a tab that is either bent to go into a slot on a faceplate or straight to be driven by a bolt mounted on the faceplate. I've always heard the kind with a fork like the one pictured called grinder or grinding dogs but I don't know why. I can find examples of grinding dogs with 2 forks on them but I must plead ignorance on the differences.

That fits with the pinstriper theory. The screw would be to clamp an adjustable edge guide that you can use to follow an existing stripe or a contour on the body of a car. Sort of like using a rip fence on a circular saw. Here's a modern version:

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

O.K. Again -- I'm answering from rec.crafts.metalworking.

272) Hanging clip for whiteboard or the like, fits aluminum rails around room. 273) Forked tail (metal) lathe dog.

274) Rolling paint line applicator.

275) Hand clay pigeon flinger for trap or skeet shooting.

276) Iris diaphragm for camera or for (perhaps) microscope light source Normally, it would be mounted inside the lens, for a camera, but there is not enough of the surround to make this clear. With the rust visible, I suspect the light source instead.

277) "Tee nut" (Brand name) for puting machine threads in wood. It is driven into a hole from the far side, and the spikes prevent rotation.

Now to see what others have answered.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

272 window lock 273 lathe dog 274 pin striper - single size single line. Bottle is for the thick ink. 275 clay pigeon hand thrower - target practice with a shotgun or '45 :-) 276 Simple iris camera lens or a lamp shutter. 277 dry wall screw anchor 266 egg dipper / candle the egg for internal viewing or coloring eggs. 267 acorn nut - from sheet metal - lower quality than solid material. 268 bayonet 270 tin type or a true lantern slide for carbon arc viewing.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I just wanted to assure you that item 274 is indeed a paint striper as many have indicated. I have one that I bought long ago for the exorbitant price of $4.79. I still have the instructions. It is titled the Master Double and Single Line Paint Striper Model No. 1100 and was manufactured by the Embee Corporation of Springfield, OH. You are missing several of the brass wheels and spacers that allow different line widths and double lines.

Reply to
craftsman_ron

I just wanted to assure you that item 274 is indeed a paint striper as many have indicated. I have one that I bought long ago for the exorbitant price of $4.79. I still have the instructions. It is titled the Master Double and Single Line Paint Striper Model No. 1100 and was manufactured by the Embee Corporation of Springfield, OH. You are missing several of the brass wheels and spacers that allow different line widths and double lines.

Reply to
craftsman_ron

Yup, I was just going to Eastwood myself to get the link. I have a couple of those Beuglers for pinstriping.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Hey, I can get a pic of one of those on a large lathe at work.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

These are all correct, though I'm still not sure about 266, I have to admit I hope it doesn't turn out to actually be an egg dipper, also I'm not sure

277 is for drywall.
Reply to
R.H.

Thanks for the link and the other info.

Reply to
R.H.

All correct.

Reply to
R.H.

Partial credit for this answer

Neither of these

These three are correct.

Reply to
R.H.

All correct except for the first, though I guess it could be used for that.

Reply to
R.H.

Thanks for the information, if anyone didn't see the link someone left on my site, there is one very similar shown here:

R.H.

That would be great, I would like to see it.

Reply to
R.H.