What is it? XLV

Thanks for the link! I have to admit that I'm surprised that it's actually used for that, I thought it might be for working on leather.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Thanks for posting that, those were pretty good.

Reply to
R.H.

Nope

It isn't open, it's a solid chunk of metal.

Correct.

I'm not familiar with "hold down dogs" but if it means the same as pipe jaws for a vise, then you're correct.

Reply to
R.H.

Correct.

Reply to
R.H.

O.K. That is different. Though aside from the head with the groove, it looks similar to the three-piece ones which I was describing, where the drill point is dislodged by the insertion of the final screw, and turned into a transverse clamp to better resist pull-out.

Note the caveat in that web page that it is for a maximum load of 40 lbs. And that would be for a pure shear type load. Anything which translates to much of a pull would have to be derated. And it

*might* not let go until a particularly humid day, or a mild earthquake, or something similar.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The drywall anchor that is useful in Paneling, Hollow Doors and thin plaster is made by Rayfix International owned by Midwest Fastener Corporation (might have owner backwards)

These are called "Ultimate Gold Wall Anchor - gold color - holds up to 60 pounds. I bought a couple of packages at my local Lumber Company. Had to mount some heavy stuff - used 3.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Funny. I'm working on a network upgrade for ITW Brands at the moment....

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

What's the point of this, and what does it have to do with the eyelet tool? All I see is a bunch of old, lame, pilot complaint jokes.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Thanks for your concern Don - it's an LCD flat screen. I reckon a decent size CRT would be nigh impossible - and in any situation it would be easier and safer to use a floor stand.

The largest(heaviest) thing I have held up with these things is a 6' by 4' framed map - it must weigh close on 80 lbs and is held on by two screws. It was put up before I arrived at this office and as it has been fine for about 10 years I see no reason to question its safety.

Regards

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Newell
[...]

It was funny. You're welcome.

Reply to
B.B.

I thought they were pretty funny when I first saw them a few years ago! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I run into a lot of people in NY who also call it sheetrock. But wasn't "sheetrock" another product altogether back in the 50's ? late 40's ?? I've worked on old houses that had changes made to them over the years and I ran into what I thought was sheetrock in some of these mods. The stuff was much thicker and harder than drywall, and came in plank-like form, looking a lot like concrete "planks" I've seen every once in a while. ???????

Reply to
GregP

I've always known sheetrock and drywall to be synonyms. Then again, IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor).

Hmm. There's also "rockwall" or "concrete board" which is what you're supposed to use for backing in wet areas, like behind tiles in the bath. It comes in the same size sheets as sheetrock, though.

Reply to
Tim Mullen

Sheetrock is a brand name like Kleenex. GWB, gypsum wall board is the architects' reference to the material.

The harder material you are referencing I think is called rock lath. The stuff I have found has red paper and holes to allow the plaster to key. It was in small planks, not large sheets.

DanG

thanks... :-)

Reply to
GregP
254 -- Don't have a clue, the spots across the top lool like batery charger pads.

255 -- Again no clue.

256 -- Tensioner arm from a reel to reel tape deck?

257 -- No clue

258 -- Knife sharpener.

259 -- Novelty hand cuff key, shape is similar to the Monodnock PR-24 side handle batton. The pin end near the split ring is used to lock the cuff lattch so that the cuffs won't continue to tighten up. The locking bar on the cuff is at the same end as the chain links. Despite my calling it a novelty key the design is rather practical, note that the handle is inline with the blade on the key. Makes it easy to orientate in the dark. The larger size is also handy the standard key is about 1/2 inch long.

Tigger

Reply to
Anthony VanCampen

It isn't part of a tape deck.