What kind of vise is this?

In the workshop that came with the property I bought for my retirement, there were all sorts of goodies including three nice vises. Here is one of them, mounted on my welding table

But what kind of a vise is it? It seems to have a rotating barrel that will permit either of two heads to come into play, though I haven't yet figured out how to rotate it. The second head, the lower one in the picture is smaller and lighter and has removable inserts of some sort. There are also four screws with locknuts that must be some sort of adjustment. It seems to have been made in China, but then what isn't these days?

Who knows more about it than this amateur?

Reply to
John Ings

Fairly common design. Upper jaws are standard machinist style, lower jaws are for pipe and round stock. And advantage is that you can hold pipe both horizontally AND vertically. You see thme often on the back of a welder truck.

Typical import quality for camparis> In the workshop that came with the property I bought for my

Reply to
Roy J

Roy answered WHAT it is...to turn it, just make sure that there is no pressure on the jaws, namely not closed on anything, and rotate it. If it's been there a while without moving, you may need to get it loose. WD-40 usually works pretty well. Also try thumping the screw handle into the body LIGHTLY...like just with the palm of your hand...that may loosen it up enough to rotate.

They do make a great welding vise, tho. Have fun with it!

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

Not sure I can classify it better than Roy. The best thing I can add is: "STAND IN FRONT OF IT , NOT NEXT TO IT." ...machine shop rule #1.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It is a pretty common combination vise giving you both machinist jaws and pipe jaws. I have one like it mounted on my welding truck. To rotate it, back off on the screw to relieve pressure on the jaws, and then just turn it. If it is stuck, a bit of persuasion might be required to break it loose. If it is really stuck, more than a bit of persuasion may be required (ie a wooden block and a bigger hammer).

Mine had rusted up inside and didn't want to turn. I took it apart and cleaned it up with emery cloth, lubed it, and it just whirls around with a light touch now.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Tom Help my ignorance, I've never heard your rule #1. Can you explain why this is so? lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

And check the back end of the barrel, should be a retained nut to set preload. Probably should just take it apart and give it some TLC.

mj

Reply to
michael

(Snip info about bench vise)

Much later models of that combination vise have a worm drive rather than a friction clutch to control the rotation of the jaw assembly.

I bought one for a testing lab at a computer manufacturer.

I think this is the one:

Invisible in this image is the drive crank on the opposite side of the tool.

I liked it better than the friction clutch variety (that I have at home).

It's neat to be able to change the head angle with the workpiece clamped.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Fergeddabout the vise, where is the retirement property? It looks somewhat like desert southwest. Can you divulge the location plus or minus fifty miles to retain your security and anonymity?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

That was an easy one..... Now who can help me with this vise.... What was it used for ????

Kevin Beitz

I bet that everyone does it ONCE. And if when opening or closing the vise while standing next to it and the spinning handle smacks you in the sensitive male anatomy, you remember not to do THAT again.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Osoyoos. Canada's only desert. South central British Columbia, about

10 miles north of Oroville WA on the US border.
Reply to
John Ings

That one is one of those patented "all-in-one" home shop tools. Drill press, vice, anvil, and a bunch of other stuff.

I'll be damned if I can recall where I saw a writeup on one of those. Model Engineer magazine, maybe. Showed a copy of a magazine advert from a way back. They were marketed to farmers and home handymen with limited shop space.

Sorta 1st generation Shopsmith Multi-tool. :-)

Osoyoos,eh? I figured it must have been somewhere near there. I thought maybe Vernon, but the part bald rounded shape of the hills pretty much says that region. Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Vernon is a lot wetter and greener.

I'm told that Spaniards have remarked that the landscape resembles the Barcelona area. Sagebrush, bunchgrass, and when the wind blows strong I get tumbleweed in my yard.

Reply to
John Ings

Reply to
larry g

Nice looking country.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Hi John I am just up the valley from you . Armstrong should you ever get up my way give me a call . We have a great fall fair if you like old tractors and horsepulls etc . You must be fairly close to Ted Edwards . Happy retirement ;-) Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Perhaps you know Glenn Jahraus?

Reply to
John Ings

Nope does not ring any bells . Is he in Armstrong ? Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Yes, on Otter Lake Crossroad. He's into vintage cars and BMW bikes.

Reply to
John Ings