What materials to make a hardened swage

What I would like to make is a swage for studs used to hold brake drums onto the hubs. I have a 9" SB and know my dimensions, I just do not know what type of material I need other than 1" bar stock. Then what would be needed to fully harden the metal to take the pressure from a 25 ton, or a little more, press. The swage will have a .510 hole in the middle and the outside will be tapered to create a circular surface about .1" wide.

This is to make a the tooling so I can rebuild the brakes on my 1931 Model A Ford.

Thanks,

Kevin

Reply to
Calergin
4130 steel stock.

my 2 cents

Reply to
xman Charlie

=================================== If you're after the challenge of making it yourself, go for it. It not...they're available from the Model A parts suppliers for about $7.50.

Someone else recommended 4130...that'll work fine and should be easy to find.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Way

Pretty much whatever you have in a hardenable steel will work for one model A.

41 30-40-50, 8620, old axle shaft, whatever. I made one for a one time brake job from some scrap D-2, worked fine. Or at least the second one did. I didn't draw the first one quite enough when I tempered it, and it cracked after about 6 studs.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Marrs

Make one out of OCS (Old Chevy Spring). Both leaf and coil car/truck springs are made of some very good steel and are usually available free. On coil springs, I cut of one or so rings and heat and straighten (hammer and anvil). Heat to "cherry red" and bury in ashes to anneal. Saw/machine/grind/file to required shape. Heat to cherry red and quench in oil. Clean to bare metal and gently heat to a brown (hard) or purple (not quite so hard but tougher) and quench again.

After he broke his third Snap-on cold chisel, I made one out of truck-size coil spring for my mechanic son-in-law. This was several years ago. He says it may soon need to be sharpened.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

=========================== It may well make a difference where you get them. A fellow member of the local A club got one from Bratton and brought it over to stake the studs in his drums, using my press. It did all four and still looked like new.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Way