"What the hell is a millwright?"

I wonder what that makes me?

Gunner, Machine tool mechanic, fixer of busted air lines and installer of electrical Stuff

Reply to
Gunner

A tired-iron-wright?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Um, a JOAT/scrounger, I do believe.

OK, "Master Scrounger" then. I say that with a great deal of admiration and respect, of course.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Oooooh! I like it!!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

on 'grossest jobs in america' or some such, they explained that a blacksmith can be a farrier, but a farrier isn't a blacksmith

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Ditto. And here in the newsgroups, a "Master Debater". Though the way some people pronounce it, they slur a few of the syllables in the middle... ;-D

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Junkwright?

Scrapwright?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hell Bruce..Im only an Apprentice Bater. But if I keep pounding away..Im bound to cum up with my Master.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Cool too! New titles for updating my business cards!!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Let the record show that Gunner wrote back on Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:30:02 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Tinker. But it could be said you've got the wright stuff, so by a stretch of the term, you is a millwright. A high tech one, but hey, if the folks who install seat cushions in Boeing planes can be 'machinists', and guys who make doors and box springs can be "Sawmill and Lumber workers", you can be a millwright.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:12:50 GMT, the blithe spirit Gunner clearly indicated:

I like Scrapwright, myself.

Let me know when you need those designed. I need to build up tool credits with you. ;)

-- Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name. ------------------------------------------------------

Lawyer-free Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You do that too?

Hummm...Im running out of "Good for one free Orgasm" cards with "Free Cowboy Mustache Rides" printed on the reverse.

Ill think on this.....

Gunner

Gunner

In "The Woodwright's Eclectic Workshop" Roy Underhill describes making a water mill in the old days -- it was all wood of several types, each one chosen for it's particular properties of strength vs. ease of working vs. wear resistance, etc. It sounded from his description that the millwright of old needed to push his available technology, and did things that were comparatively as amazing, as the current millwrights do.

I'm sure that as metal started making it's way into the scene the millwright adapted, until they became workers in everything instead of a subset of woodwrights.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:27:37 GMT, the blithe spirit Gunner clearly indicated:

Yes, I still do pre-press design and layout work, but Terry used to print the stuff for me on an old Multilith 1250. He's still down in LoCal (San Marcos.)

You can get 250 of each printed up at

really cheap (free single-sided cards with their URL on the back for $5.25 shipping or $15 + s/h for double-sided)

Maybe we should all go together and get a shitload of 'em.

I'm doing some cards and postcards for a client and he's having a FL company print them. Something like $60 for 5,000 of 'em (double- sided with matte UV coating on the front) through an Ebay purchase.

Yeah, and back when I was a Minister, I had cards printed up which said "Last Rites, Marrials, and Burials" figuring all 3 were pretty much the same energy/attitude. ;)

.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques