Why do bandsaw blades break?

Or maybe DeWalt's small bandsaw (DCS371) is a crap tool. Maybe they are in disfavor with the Chinese Communist Party and their tool quality is going downhill as a result of that. Or maybe I got a lemon.

In any case, it sucks. No twisting. Cutting a straight line. DeWalt blade (shipped and sold by Amazon) still cracked after minimal use.

Hopefully my bigger DeWalt portable bandsaw (DCS374B) works better. But it has apparent signs of being at least partly designed in China (besides being manufactured there). Will be wary if I purchase anymore of theirs.

They have also developed that stupid practice of practically welding their drill chucks to the spindle.

Reply to
John Doe

Or maybe DeWalt's small bandsaw (DCS371) is a crap tool. Maybe they are in disfavor with the Chinese Communist Party and their tool quality is going downhill as a result of that. Or maybe I got a lemon.

In any case, it sucks. No twisting. Cutting a straight line. DeWalt blade (shipped and sold by Amazon) still cracked after minimal use.

Hopefully my bigger DeWalt portable bandsaw (DCS374B) works better. But it has apparent signs of being at least partly designed in China (besides being manufactured there). Will be wary if I purchase anymore of theirs.

They have also developed that stupid practice of practically welding their drill chucks to the spindle.

--------------------------------------

Perhaps the saw needs a trigger actuator headspace adjustment.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Maybe *you* are not twisting the blade, but the design causes the blade to be twisted (about 45 degrees -- I don't have one here to measure) as it spools off one wheel, is twisted by the guides to orient the blade vertical to the workpiece, and then untwisting it just before it spools onto the second wheel. The disance between the wheels and the blade guides is pretty small on that little bandsaw, so it likely stresses the steel more than the larger one. (Try measuring the distance from exiting the wheel until it enters the guide. I'll bet that it is significantly smaller on the smaller saw -- thus more flexing of the blade back and forth. The import horizontal/vertical 4x6" saws are bigger, and with the adjustable blade guides, are usually a greater distance from the wheel.

I would expect it -- just because it does not twist the blade in as short a distance from wheel to guide.

Isn't everything manufactured there these days?

Reversible spindle? If so, it should have a left-hand screw in the center of the chuck and threaded into the spindle. *NOTE* -- I said left-hand screw. This is so the chuck does not unscrew from the spindle when running in reverse.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Apparently some manufacturers are being ripped off more than others. Depends on what the Chinese Communist Party wants. One would think their goal is to eventually consume and/or control everything.

They stopped using a screw. Now they use a press fit. It's impossible to remove without cutting through the chuck. I'm not into using a torch, but maybe that would work.

Reply to
John Doe