Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?

‘Entering the clean power era’: Wind and solar generated a record amount of global power in 2022 CNBC - April 12, 2023

-

bruce bowser

And if the build just one more tower than goes into a landfill this year and managed to just one more solar panel than fails they will set a new record this year.

I suspect that we set a new world record in all time miles of road last year too.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

And if the build just one more tower than goes into a landfill this year and managed to just one more solar panel than fails they will set a new record this year.

I suspect that we set a new world record in all time miles of road last year too. Bob La Londe

---------------------

Feeling superior is all that matters now.

It's a replay of the old religious divide between the doctrines of faith versus good deeds. Those incapable of good deeds (or anything useful) denied their value and clung to parroting "correct" dogma to achieve righteousness and salvation. Now the misfits and losers try to demonize and punish the success they aren't capable of, like Aesop's fable of the fox and the grapes.

Jim Wilkins

Most of the components of a regional solar powered electric grid are also required for an off-grid home installation, except the transmission lines. A small separately derived system still needs the panels, charge controller, batteries, inverters, monitoring, operator/repairman and an always-available back-up source for equipment failures or long overcast periods.

If you really think solar is the answer, obtain your own system and experience and try to solve or at least understand the problems first-hand, so you can advocate from more than narrow personal needs. Instead of one full-time adequately sized power source you'll need to invest in three part-time ones for the same kilowatt-hour usage; the solar, the batteries and the back-up generator, and so does an electric utility.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have installed solar a few times, but it was for applications where power just wasn't available. Alarm systems in model homes and remote warehouses. All with cellular monitoring and communication. What I found was even here in SW Arizona where we once had a restaurant that advertised free meals any day the sun doesn't shine I needed a lot more solar capacity than you would think. At first I put up panels that should have done the job with some reserve capacity, and the batteries could carry the equipment solo for a couple days (when new), and after a week I started having low battery issues. I tied the solar charge controller directly into the gel cells, and programmed the panels to not report AC failure. It worked... for about a week. I figured I had 30% excess solar capacity going by the numbers, but I didn't. I doubled the solar panel size and it worked fine.

On a marginally higher use system in a warehouse, I wired the charge controller into independent batteries, then used an inverter to power the panel and cellular unit. Then each of those had its own backup battery. It worked great, and I would get an AC warning well before the system went dead when the batteries ahead of the inverter got depleted. Never had a power issue with it, but I did get a complaint from one of their neighbors years later when the warehouse had been abandoned, and the batteries went bad as they always do. The panel went whacko as power dropped and went into alarm and the siren started sounding and resetting for a day and a half. I had no keys to the warehouse. I told them to call the realtor, and I never heard anything again.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

[...]

------------------------------

An array that gets effectively 8 hours of full sun per day would have to be

3 times the size of the load to carry the other 16 hours. Here it's more like 5 times. I see output halved by fairly thin haze or cirrus and cut to 1/10th or less by a storm.

Surprisingly time of year has relatively little effect here because the winter air is cleaner and cold panels are more efficient. A low loss test setup can show the full rated output of a panel by mid-February.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Mon, 19 Jun 2023 18:28:05

OTOH - the original post was proud about the World RECORD power supplied by Wind/Solar. Because let's face it, if you install more inefficient part time electricity sources, why yes you will generate a "record amount". Still not enough to actually meet current demand for electricity. But you can polish your virtuosity because the fossil fuel plants aren't there to make up the needed demand.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

...But you can polish your virtuosity because the fossil fuel plants aren't there to make up the needed demand. pyotr filipivich

"No one actually has to do anything. Virtue comes from mere words or even from silently held beliefs. There was a time in the distant past when people thought you could only be virtuous by doing things...[that] involve effort and self-sacrifice."

If you want to make a meaningful rather than uselessly symbolic contribution then explore and promote ways to reduce your own household energy consumption, like drying laundry on a clothesline. I have a long list of effective ones, many that I've posted to little or no effect, but they require lifting a finger to take action personally instead of just trying to shame and feel superior to others, "Oh, I could never do that."

Jim Wilkins

For many virtue just comes from looking down on others.

"Look at that disgusting working man covered in grease form fixing my car." The same car they aren't even competent to learn the skills to learn the skills.

... continued in the topic Virtue Signaling Vises

Reply to
Bob La Londe