WTB: Engine for '77 Pontiac (Seattle Area)

Hi Guys. I am looking for an engine that will drop into a 1977 Bonneville Brougham. It does not need to be perfect, just so it runs. Something in a V-8 around a 350 would be perfect, unless by some chance somebody has one of those rare Diesel DX engines that fit this car.

Email me if you have something.

snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie Some where in this vintage they were putting Chevrolet engines in these cars. You need to know what transmission mounting pattern you have. Is it the B-O-P ( Buick Olds Pontiac) pattern or Chevrolet? Chevrolet engines have the distributor in the rear, and Pontiac have the dist in the front. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Well this one has the distributor in the rear. I know because we replaced it.

I know a guy with a Chevy engine , but he wasn't sure if it would bolt right up.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

It probably will bolt right up. Call a couple of junk yards and ask now that you know that it is a Chevy motor. I have a 400 Chevy that is in need of a rebuild if it helps, near Salem Or. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Actually, both Chevy and Pontiac engines have their distributor in the rear (I've got 2 '78 Pontiac 400's and the're both this way. Sorry Ernie, not for sale). Couple ways to tell the two apart are: - Chevy distributor passes through the intake manifold, Pontiac do not. - Oil filter is on the driver's side for Chevy, passenger for Pontiac. - Pontiac distributor turns counter-clockwise instead of Chevy's clockwise - Pontiac's will have the engine size cast into the block. Near the front of the driver's side, under the freeze plugs I believe.

I'm sure there are other ways, but those are the ones that I do know are easy to find. Also, if this car had a Pontiac V8 to begin with, then any Pontiac V8 from '69-'78 (350, 400, 428, 455) should fit with little to no problem - from what I understand.

- Mike (back to lurking)

-- Natharias at lycos dot com

Reply to
Mike S.

I'll stand corrected by Mike. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g