Zircs - My dumb question of the month coupon

On 08/05/2014 7:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

Never had any issue on any greased bearing, dust seal or not. It used to be _extremely_ common on much equipment; not so much with the advent of sealed bearings which aren't greased, anyways...

A typical tractor has gone from something like 20 or 30 to maybe a half-dozen virtually all in the steering gear and a couple on the 3-pt, a combine from 100 or more to about the same in the last 50 yr or so...when a kid would typically use nearly a whole grease gun load every morning on combine; now it's again a squirt or two on a couple key places and the steering gear and "good to go"...everything else is now sealed.

Which I would expect to be sealed...

Reply to
dpb

Factory U joints are greased for life.

Their life ends when all the grease is gone.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

And there are "double lip" seals that do both

From my experience on both ag and industrial equipment, MOST of these pins have no seal at all - which is why I said the grease keeps the dirt out. Which is why you grease the durn things every day -to keep clean grease in the joint and dirt out.

You can only get away with that on fully sealed systems - for a while.

Well, like older tie rod ends,.they have dirt sheilds that also do a half-assed job of keeping grease in, but allow re-greasing to "purge" old grease from the joint on a regular basis. (assuming you mean the old cross and roller type "U" joint, not the newer CV joints)

Nor mine, gunner. Been wrenching since I was 14. Have owned vehicles as old as 1928, and worked on equipment even older - American, british, german, russian, chinese, and Japanese.

Reply to
clare

The "good" ones still come with a plug that can be removed and a zerc installed. The "shitty" ones are not even cross drilled to allow grease distribution.

Reply to
clare

I made a decent living at it for about 26 years - and it has also been a hobby. Owned '28 Chev, 35 chev, 38 Terraplane,49 VW bug, 53 coronet sierra,

57 Fargo Express, 57 Chevy 210,61 mini, 61 invicta, 63 valiant, 69 dart, 72 Vauxhaul Firenza HC,72 colt - and a whole bunch of newer stuff. Helped friend rebuild 53 MG TD, Fiat 600 and Isetta as well as a handfull of old VW bugs and vans. Worked on Chinese trucks and tractors in Africa in the '70s, along with Volgas and Moskavitches, Rolls and Jag and Bimmers and rovers - and White Farm equipment and Fiat-Alis industrial equipment
Reply to
clare

I those cases, I agree.

Ayup. FullySealed/MaintenanceFree = Replacement Soon Required.

Theose which go "EEEE-URK, EEEE-URK, EEEE-URK" as they slowly drive through the parking lot? Those are the old GreaseFree style, and you pray you're not behind them on the freeway when one of them lets go, especially the front one...

Reply to
Larry Jaques