Rechargable?

Does the USB connection on the NXT have the ability to recharge batteries? I didn't find anything saying it would, but I also didn't find
anything saying it wouldn't.
I suspect that it does not, and I'm sure it doesn't if you just connect it and hope. So there might be a command or switch?
Bill DeWitt skrev:

Does the NXT work with rechargable batteries, I mean because of the lower voltage?
My son uses rechargable battery in his mindstorm 2. It works fine.