trouble with USB tower

We are trying to download the software and connect the USB tower to my computer running Windows XP, but are having major difficulties. When we get
to the point where the USB is to "see" the robot, it doesn't. What is going on? how can we correct this? Thanks.
If you are running a hyperthreaded Intel processor, there is a bug in the RoboLab software that prevents the tower from being seen. You can download a patch from http://www.lego.com/eng/education/mindstorms/home.asp?pagename=download that should make things work just fine. It did for my computer.
Good luck
Steve