Air-con pump

I was down at the scrappy the other day and noticed what looked like a NEW Air-con pump (ex automotive I assume) lying in the rain. Complete with multi-vee pulley, electric clutch, plugs in the ports. I assume it is a swash type piston pump. Seems a pity to let it get crushed.

If anyone has reused one for "other" purposes I would be interested to know for what? I am not interested in using it for its original purpose.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

I used one for an air compressor years ago. It worked quite well. You do need to put a draincock on the moisture trap though.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Thanks for that. Having bought it for £5 I find that it is the same type (SD7H15) as is fitted on my motorhome, though a different model number. Having searched a bit I feel that it is maybe possible that the model number relates to drive clutch, pulley and backplate porting arrangement (however I may be wrong). If that is the case then it is worth putting on the shelf "just in case" as a new one is £175 and upwards! It is definitely unused!

Just for interest what pressure did you run your unit upto? I note that in an air-con environment it runs up to 330psi.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Ordinarily, I used it at about 80 PSI. However, I used it with military surplus aviation oxygen tank as an air receiver. Thus, on occasion there was no problem running it at 200 PSI when needed. I made an adjustable safety valve, so pressure limits were easy to change, The tank was rated for 2,000 PSI. I replaced the pulley/ clutch assembly with a larger diameter commercial die cast one. It was a twin cylinder compressor, and ran easily, powered with a 1/2 HP 120 volt AC motor.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

if your car runs on lpg

fix a hand crank on it and it can be used for transfering lpg from a bottle to your car......... but only if its the radial engine type pump with multiple pistons and a wet sump.

alll the best..markj

Reply to
mark