Bally German eBayers !!!!

To say nothing of hurling the Elson out the bomb bay at the turn round point

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

So what is the UK in uk.rec.models.engineering ???????? If our continental (or US) friends choose to read what IS a UK group then they need to accept our sense of humour. I'm fed up with rapidly becoming a member of an ethnic minority group in what was my own country !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On my mothers house in Liverpool (she was in the Anderson shelter)

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Sorry Matt, don't subscribe to this PC bullshit, never have, never will. It's long overdue that someone takes a stand.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

In article , Peter A Forbes writes

Yes, but ground staff (most of the time).

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Damned right. The world would be a far better place if we all still used VAX Stations:-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

...nah... ADM3A's were the de facto standard

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I recently did a transaction into Germany.

Euro's into an envelope is about the only way to go without resorting to the various electronical methods (wire transfers).

I beleive the resistance is based on the fees charged for the service. High, from what I have heard.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Mine was an LAC. Unusually, both my father and his father are in Commonwealth War Grave Commission graves, both died while in service but not actually in combat.

We went to my fathers grave last week while up in Croydon, he is buried at Bandon Hill cemetery, his father is buried over at Sutton.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Other countries are quick enough to take the mickey out of us when they feel so inclined, so I would agree with John there.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

At the risk of offending - I totally agree! < Rant mode >

My wife and I spent a year going through the hoops for fostering only to be told in the end that we were TOO racist. I had only commented on the fact that I prefer to treat women as equals ( OK I know they are better than us ;) ) and so would not accept a 6 year old boy telling Sheila that she had to walk behind him. It was a training test but I STILL maintain that the COUNTRY'S laws come before religious beliefs, and we have an anti-discrimination law in the UK! < Sorry for the rant >

Reply to
Lester Caine

No the ruling now is they walk in front because of land mines. And I'm not racist, in fact I believe every tradesman should have one...............

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Hope it works. ISTR that engine was chosen because it is particularly short, and would not overhang a narrow plate. We bought Wacker plates in all shapes and sizes, and I only remember the one model with a Farymann engine. Can't remember what they were like in service, but I have a vague feeling they were not very good.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

High charge & high resistance result in low current-cy. Or something. I'll get my coat.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

nah, PDP8s and PDP11s with VT50 terminals and LA30 printers.

Regards,

David P. .

Reply to
David Powell

Much too modern. Remote access to ICL 1900 via Creed 75 as a terminal.

Or to really go back, Ferranti Pegasus and 5 hole paper tape.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Only just recently cleared out a 110 baud KSR33 complete with a box of

1" paper tape rolls - chap was delighted when I was able to give him a spool re-winder AND a tape trough AND a tape splicer / repairer jig.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Never worked on the Pegasus but worked on the entire range of Argus's from Argus 100 through to Argus 700 and FM1600B military version. Now the early ICL 1900 was a revamped version of the Argus 500 with the same instruction set at microcode level. When ICT was going down the pan (1970 or so??) the government bailed them out only if they got a technology injection, which in the end was the entire Ferranti West Gorton factory ! so ICT plus a bit of Ferranti know how became ICL. Now owned by Fujitsu I believe.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

We always knew that my father's younger brother hadn't returned from the Dieppe raid, but no more than that. My father retained a fanciful idea that he might have survived and started a new life in France, as there were people he might have been glad to be away from, and his sister maintained that he had been flying Typhoons at the time. Today, 10 minutes on the web tells me that he was flying a Spitfire, & was shot down off Dieppe by an Fw-190. There are romantic notions today about being a Spitfire pilot, but my father said that his brother hated the job.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

I've had a seller asking me for extra money afterwards, because apparently in Germany, Paypal is free as long as it isn't charged to a credit card; probably sellers don't realize there's a 4% charge for mere mortals.

On Bank transfers: Within the EU, cross-border payments are charged the same amount as domestic payments (ie. mostly free), provided: (from

-The IBAN *) of the recipient and his bank's BIC **)are completely and correctly specified.

-The currency is EUR

-The amount is no more than EUR 50,000

-The transfer is from one EU member to another***)

-The costs of the transfer are SHARED****) with the recipient.

Notice that this applies in the UK as well - you should be charged the same if you send Euros to your aunt Emily in Worchester or to Heinrich in Dusseldorf.

The snag is, of course, that you'd have to pay for the currency conversion from pounds to Euros. I have also heard that UK banks are actively trying to dissuade people from filling all this in correctly ("oh, that's not necessary"), so a little persistance may be in order.

Remember that they are breaking the law if they charge you for a payment like this (apart from the euro conversion).

A problem I've had is that some German sellers are also not aware of these requirements, and send me just an account number and a BlZ. or Bankleitzahl, which is a sort of Bank branch code - although this is mostly with sellers that have listed "Germany only" in their auction, and with the iban-calculator on the same

is easily remedied;

Hope this helps,

Hans

*)IBAN: international bank account number: usually made up of a country code, a checksum, a bank number and an account number.

**)BIC: Bank Identifier Code: given out by SWIFT, the worldwide banking association that handles international bank transfers

***). These are currently Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Northern Ireland, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and the United Kingdom.

****) "SHARED" - a SWIFT code for: I pay my fees, you pay yours - also "OUR": I pay fees at both ends and, iirc, "YOURS"(or "THEIR" or something) saying "bollocks, you want it. you pay for it"

Reply to
Hans van Dongen