Brierley ZB25 Drill Grinder

Hi Guys,

I am new to this site. I am seeking help and advice regarding the above mentioned grinder.

I was very fortunate to have purchased a Brierley and after some minor restoration work I wish to put it to work.

I am missing the chuck. can somebody please give me details of a suitable chuck to purchase so I can get up and running. I have only one cam a No 6. Does anybody make them of which I can purchase? An operating Manual would also be very handy.

I have another project of which I am seeking help. I purchased a Weldon

200 air bearing mill cutter grinder but I am missing the "finger bracket assembly".

Do any members own one of these??? If so I would be gratefull if you could give me specific measurement details so I can fabricate one.

Regards,

Mick.

Reply to
MickInAus

They have a six jaw chuck on them.I can measure one later. Do you still have the index setting plate behind the chuck? I think Chester or some such company took them over so hopefully you can get a manual and cams there.

Reply to
mark

G'day Mark,

Yes it has the index plate just missing the chuck. It appears to be mounted by 3 screws onto the indexing plate. Info on getting a manual would be great. Most likely it is an English manufactured chuck. I tried emailing Brierley but got no response

Thanks for your reply. I will try a google search for Chester.

Cheers. mate

Mick

Reply to
MickInAus

Hi Mick.

Chester now own the name and it looks like machines are now produced in the far east. You need a numnber four cam to do ordinary two flute drills and you may be better buying the manual from Tony at lathes.uk.He will be expensive but you will get a quality copy of the original manual. I have a manual but it`s a copy of a copy and very poor quality.

Reply to
mark

The latter run of Brierly drill grinder, when Brierly's owned them were done in Taiwan, Chester have them done in the same place. Try Chester's for a manual because they differed quite a lot and when Brierly owned them the nice lady there said they printed to manual to suit the machine. Price at the time for a genuine copy was cheaper than Tonys copy at lathes.co.uk.

The copy Tony has isn't a good copy either.

According to my cam list a no2 is the normal 2 flute drill cam, the number 4 is listed as flat bottomed drills RH. Even numbers areRH, odd numbers LH.

John S.

Reply to
John S

Thanks John,

I will try Chester. Do you guys know if Chester still supply cams if not, does anybody in this group fabricate and sell them???.

Is it critical to use the original chuck for the machine??? Or will any chuck with 3,4 or 6 jaws that fit the indexing plate do ???.

I am also after an operating manual for a STEHLE HS600 auto saw sharpening machine. No luck on the net. Stehle company website does not even list any machines, just saw blades and cutters ???? Boy I am frustrated. I have these excellent pieces of machinery but the original manufacturers have been taken over and their seems to be no backup service from the new company.

I am in the market for a metal lathe and I will be making my choice base on a brand that I can trust that will not go broke or is unlikely to be taken over.

Any comments on brands ???

Thanks,

Mick

Reply to
MickInAus

Hi Guys,

Searching the net found this. Could this be the company in Taiwan manufacturing for Chester??

Cheers and thanks for your help.

Mick

Reply to
MickInAus

That`s interesting because I lifted that No4 info from Brierley/ Chester`s page as I couldn`t be bothered looking for my manual. I do agree that Tony`s prices are horrendous and I wouldn`t usually recommend anyone to go there,but,thought in this instance that it might be the better road.

Did you ever have any joy with making the cams John?

Mark.

Reply to
mark

So Guys,

Does this look like the Brierley sold in England??

Cheers

Mick

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: Brierley made in Taiwan.jpg | |Download:
| +------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
MickInAus

If you go here:

You'll find it's all in French. But "affuteuses" are sharpening machines and Brierly Z25 is listed. The manual is in French but I haven't looked at all the other stuff. quite a lot on this site is in English

Charles

Reply to
Charles p

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bombard you but please take the time to look at this video an tell me if it aligns with the Brierley operating instructions

Cheers

Mick.

Reply to
MickInAus

Thanks for sharing..! Best regards, Dirk

Reply to
Dirk

Charles,

Your a bloody marvel,

I have just finished a degree as a mature aged student, but I am now off to learn French.

Thanks Mate,

Mick

Reply to
MickInAus

Was Marvel not a comic?

Reply to
mark

No that was Billy Connolly. Now he is a funny Scot.

Charles

Reply to
Charles p

Mark,

The attached is a sign of a Marvel,

4252227

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: New way to separate frozen crumpets 001.jpg | |Download:

MickInAus

He may be funny down there but he certainly isn`t up here. I`ve had more laughs with toothache.

Reply to
mark

Ah well. We'll claim him as English since he's lived in Windsor for 25 years. You can keep Gordon Brown. He was a comic as well

Charles

Reply to
Charles p

OK Guys,

I have done some homework. I contacted RUSH machinery and can confirm that I received an email from Rush confirming their small cams are a direct fit for Brierley Drill grinders.

Attached is their price list in US dollars plus postage.

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: RUSH (Accessories)after market LIST 122109.pdf | |Download:
Reply to
MickInAus

Hi,

Yes we can supply cams for the Brierley Grinders and if we cant get hold of the very old ones we know a man who can! If you still require them please contact us, preferably by email, with the serial number of your model and the parts required and we will try to assist. Our email address is snipped-for-privacy@chestermachinetools.com.

Regards

Chester Machine Tools

Reply to
Chester UK