Brierley ZB25 Drill Grinder

Hi Guys,
I am new to this site. I am seeking help and advice regarding the above mentioned grinder.
I was very fortunate to have purchased a Brierley and after some minor
restoration work I wish to put it to work.
I am missing the chuck. can somebody please give me details of a suitable chuck to purchase so I can get up and running. I have only one cam a No 6. Does anybody make them of which I can purchase? An operating Manual would also be very handy.
I have another project of which I am seeking help. I purchased a Weldon 200 air bearing mill cutter grinder but I am missing the "finger bracket assembly".
Do any members own one of these??? If so I would be gratefull if you could give me specific measurement details so I can fabricate one.
Regards,
Mick.
--
MickInAus

They have a six jaw chuck on them.I can measure one later. Do you still have the index setting plate behind the chuck? I think Chester or some such company took them over so hopefully you can get a manual and cams there.
G'day Mark,
Yes it has the index plate just missing the chuck. It appears to be mounted by 3 screws onto the indexing plate. Info on getting a manual would be great. Most likely it is an English manufactured chuck. I tried emailing Brierley but got no response
Thanks for your reply. I will try a google search for Chester.
Cheers. mate
Mick
--
MickInAus

Hi Mick.
Chester now own the name and it looks like machines are now produced in the far east. You need a numnber four cam to do ordinary two flute drills and you may be better buying the manual from Tony at lathes.uk.He will be expensive but you will get a quality copy of the original manual. I have a manual but it`s a copy of a copy and very poor quality.

The latter run of Brierly drill grinder, when Brierly's owned them were done in Taiwan, Chester have them done in the same place. Try Chester's for a manual because they differed quite a lot and when Brierly owned them the nice lady there said they printed to manual to suit the machine. Price at the time for a genuine copy was cheaper than Tonys copy at lathes.co.uk.
The copy Tony has isn't a good copy either.
According to my cam list a no2 is the normal 2 flute drill cam, the number 4 is listed as flat bottomed drills RH. Even numbers areRH, odd numbers LH.
John S.
Thanks John,
I will try Chester. Do you guys know if Chester still supply cams if not, does anybody in this group fabricate and sell them???.
Is it critical to use the original chuck for the machine??? Or will any chuck with 3,4 or 6 jaws that fit the indexing plate do ???.
I am also after an operating manual for a STEHLE HS600 auto saw sharpening machine. No luck on the net. Stehle company website does not even list any machines, just saw blades and cutters ???? Boy I am frustrated. I have these excellent pieces of machinery but the original manufacturers have been taken over and their seems to be no backup service from the new company.
I am in the market for a metal lathe and I will be making my choice base on a brand that I can trust that will not go broke or is unlikely to be taken over.
Any comments on brands ???
Thanks,
Mick
--
MickInAus

That`s interesting because I lifted that No4 info from Brierley/ Chester`s page as I couldn`t be bothered looking for my manual. I do agree that Tony`s prices are horrendous and I wouldn`t usually recommend anyone to go there,but,thought in this instance that it might be the better road.
Did you ever have any joy with making the cams John?
Mark.
So Guys,
Does this look like the Brierley sold in England??
Cheers
Mick
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: Brierley made in Taiwan.jpg | |Download: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentidB51966 | +------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
MickInAus
Hi Guys,

If you go here: http://passion-usinages.forumgratuit.org/f23-manuels-de-machines-outils
You'll find it's all in French. But "affuteuses" are sharpening machines and Brierly Z25 is listed. The manual is in French but I haven't looked at all the other stuff. quite a lot on this site is in English
Charles
Charles p heeft uiteengezet op 2-9-2011 :

Thanks for sharing..! Best regards, Dirk
Hi Guys,
Sorry to bombard you but please take the time to look at this video an tell me if it aligns with the Brierley operating instructions
http://avenger.oceanmachinery.com/video/drill-sharpening-tutorial-ocean-penetrator-512.wmv
Cheers
Mick.
--
MickInAus
Charles,

Was Marvel not a comic?

No that was Billy Connolly. Now he is a funny Scot.
Charles

He may be funny down there but he certainly isn`t up here. I`ve had more laughs with toothache.

Ah well. We'll claim him as English since he's lived in Windsor for 25 years. You can keep Gordon Brown. He was a comic as well <bg>
Charles
OK Guys,
I have done some homework. I contacted RUSH machinery and can confirm that I received an email from Rush confirming their small cams are a direct fit for Brierley Drill grinders.
Attached is their price list in US dollars plus postage.
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: RUSH (Accessories)after market LIST 122109.pdf | |Download: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentidB66039 | +------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
MickInAus
The above information was a big help thanks