Chester UK Open Days

Just received an email, must be a mailshot, from Chester advertising their annual open days. Anyone been before or going this year as I was contemplating making the short trip across?

Cheers, Trig.

Reply to
Richyhitec

Hi Trig,

I've been to one a few years ago - there were some items marginally cheaper than usual, lots of defective/broken/returned/old stock/left over bits and pieces to rummage through. And a model engineer or two with the odd model.

I bought some cheapo TCT tools. I might go again just to see if there are models and maker there to say hello.

If you want to look to see what the chinese are producing now, then you can do that too (and there is big stuff that you won't find at the shows), but then you can visit there anytime for that.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Richardson

hi

went to there open day thing yesterday, was nice to see chester in the flesh tbh, there showroom has all there model machines on display and quite a few of their industrial machines - spotted a nice looking 4 or

5m lathe on the back wall, next to a beast of a radial drill

was worth the day out tbh, not many models to look at, a few nice hot air engines. There was loads of bargins to be had, a few very nice mills - a very nice looking Commodore Mill.

After a bit of haggling i managed to get a few more pounds of it - so after a quick exchange of monies and details, there warehouse staff loaded the mill into my car

Picked up a few bits of tooling - marked again, but nothing a quick blast of wd40 wont sort out

Well, to answer your question trig, well worth the 3hr trip for me - even had time for a coffee and some food

will keep you informed on the machine

David

Reply to
saber_wow

Trig, David,

Went there myself late on Saturday. Haggling certainly pays off, bought some odds and sods for not much from their junk pile.

Interested to meet the people with models from Alyn Foundry (alynfoundry.com). Discovered they have been using Buckley foundry for their castings. I couldn't actually believe there was a foundry so near, and one that did small volume stuff - how handy. I have all these model making books that tell you about making patterns for your local foundry. I then learned that it was soon to close and be turned into houses ! Damn !

Oh well, I hope there are other foundries still out there.

Steve

Reply to
Steve