UK online model stores apart from Hannants?

Are Hannants the top dogs in the UK, like Play are for DVD and CD .. ETC?
Back into the hobby again and looking to expand my collection of 1/48
aircraft kits, but also, maybe, some of the better after market parts and decals seen on such places as Hyperscale?
I seem to remember bad words about Hannants on here, though cant pin down any specific negative comment from memory ... maybe pricy delivery?
Gist of what I'm asking is ... is there any competition in the UK for online scale aircraft modelling (1/48) I find the Hannants site very difficult to navigate and not very pleasing on the eye.
Cheers.
Colin
Hi there. I live about 50 miles from hannants and find going there a fantastic, if expensive experience. expensive because they have so much stuff that I want that I always overspend! That said, when doing mail order I find thet their delivery can be a bit variable. their minimum amount is awquard as well beause recently I inadvertently ordered below it and foiund that they just didn't send it.
I have found The Aircraft Hobby Shop (www.tahs.com) at West Drayton good to deal with although you cannot order over the internet - only see their stock and then phone them.
We have a craft shop in Ipswich and we are shortly to be opeing a section dedicated to aircraft modelling. we expect to be stocking over 200 odd 1/48 and 400 1/72, with the stock growing after that. If you can wait a month or so, or try us then, that would be good. Send me personal e-mail to snipped-for-privacy@scrapboxnow.co.uk for more details.
Colin wrote:

I'd say yes. Most of the other model shops I've been to, if they want to know a price, they pick up a copy of the Hannants catalogue. You'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else with the range that they have.

online
For new: http://www.tahs.com / http://www.wonderlandmodels.com /
For second hand: http://www.kitkrazy.com / http://www.kingkit.co.uk/kingkit /
Whether you can order on-line, or whether they provide a better experience than Hannants; that's another matter.
But of course, this all assumes you insist on sticking with shops in the UK.
Jon.
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:24:20 +0100, "Jonathan Stilwell"

If you have a local model shop then you really ought to let them have a go because if you don't then the next time you want that pot of white paint, they won't be there. The fact that they get their stock from Hannants actually means that they can probably source everything you want, albeit with a small wait, but if you source everything from Hannants or from overseas, then the local hobby shop is dead!
David
if it hasn't been mentioned already here, try www.aeroclub-models.com they are not as big as hannants but they do carry an impressive range of stock particularly in the field of accessories for kits in 1/48 and 1/72 but other scales too. i have used them a few times. it is best to call them first and or look at their website as i haven't purchased from them for a while.
t.

online
Try www.modelsforsale.com they are fabulous to deal with, the prices tend to be lower than Hannants, and I've never waited more than 3 days to get my order and they run a customer loyalty scheme too, as you build your level of business so the level of discount increases.
A couple of others are www.antics.ltd.uk they are a High street chain that also do mail order always have a look at the special offers they have on too (e.g. Airfix at half price etc).
www.kingkit.co.uk is great for second hand or OOP kits, but the prices sometimes get a little inflated.
Hope this helps Ant

ETC?
and
down
of
too
sometimes? LOL i noticed his ebay decal sheets some time ago, each one please add 50p postage, in the days when i had some spare cash i wanted about 18, and would have bid but i wasnt paying nearly a tenner postage!!

Just another vote for www.modelsforsale.com. I`ll not use others if these have it in stock.

ETC?
and
down
of
too
Colin
I have found that
http://www.aeroclub-models.com/index.html
has a wonderful selection of kits that you can't get elsewhere (Broplan & AJP Maquettes) as well as just about everything else.
My first order from them was speedy too. 3-4 days, and that's across the Atlantic!
Keith Walker
: Are Hannants the top dogs in the UK, like Play are for DVD and CD .. ETC? : : Back into the hobby again and looking to expand my collection of 1/48 : aircraft kits, but also, maybe, some of the better after market parts and : decals seen on such places as Hyperscale? : : I seem to remember bad words about Hannants on here, though cant pin down : any specific negative comment from memory ... maybe pricy delivery? : : Gist of what I'm asking is ... is there any competition in the UK for online : scale aircraft modelling (1/48) I find the Hannants site very difficult to : navigate and not very pleasing on the eye. : : Cheers. : : Colin : :
These folks are always offering decent discounts and offer an excellent mail-order service.
MH
Thanks for all the great advice guys. Bookmarked all the links.
I ordered 3 kits from Wonderland models yesterday, very good prices, I see they are in Edinburgh, will be going down there to visit later this year, must drop in by the store ... their price for the Tamiya 1/32 Zero seems very reasonable, have always said I would just build 1/48 Aircraft, but will make an exception to the rule soon for this particular model.
I'll still support my local hobby shop with occasional kit purchases, but they will survive, their main trade is in Bicycles and Children's toys, with just a fairly small selection of Tamiya, Academy and Airfix kits, the stock of paints is surprisingly good though.
Cheers.
Colin
Colin wrote:

Whatever happened to "Capitol Model Supplies"? Eons ago, I made semi-frequent orders from them. The service was always excellent.
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317 - Slackware 10.1 (2.6.10)