Japanese rising sun insignia

Hi
I'm new to modelling and I'm about to attempt my third aircraft kit. It's a Japanese Zero (Tamiya 1/48) and I'm attempting to do it in a very worn
state. I painted the aircraft aluminium and sealed that with car lacquer (from Halfords in the UK) so I could abuse it well without going through the aluminium. I wetted down some salt and applied that on top of the aluminium finish. Then I've sprayed the upper surfaces the appropriate green let it dry for a couple of days and washed off the salt. Anyway enough explanation. I want to paint the red roundels on so I can wear them down (something I don't think I can do with the decals). Can anyone let me know the appropriate colour for the rising sun insignia? I've got various paint charts so any manufacturer will do. Thanks in advance for any help and I hope as this is my first post it all goes well and I can be an active member of the newsgroup.
Cheers Guys
Adam

The reference I have says it should be a color between FS 31105 or 31136, it comes from an old issue of FSM and an article by Harvey Low.
It is called A/N-16 Red in some books and A20/N19 deep red in others.
Japanese paint color matching is not an exact science, not a lot of reference material survived the war.
You can always ask for a second opinion on J-Aircraft.com.
Good luck with it!
FredD
Japanese paint was prone to quick deterioration under combat conditions. A newer aircraft would have red roundels while one in the condition you are trying to model would have a more subdued color; somewhere between red and maroon. Find a dull red that suits your eye. hth
The Keeper (of too much crap)
Thanks guys. Another trip to the model shop. Ah well I'll force myself :-)