2005 Beta

So who's gonna participate in the Beta? It seems they expanded the rewards to the top 10, but the #1 prize seems to have lost a bit of value. Anyone
have a 2005 What's New to whet everyone's appetite? Me? I'm gonna wait for the pre-release in June.

I'll be joining to share some of my input on a few new tools they will be incorporating, not to find bugs though.

I put in a suggestion that they should reward based on number of bugs found. For example: 50 bugs=video card or something like that. This would be in addition to the top bounty hunters.
Did you see anything like that mentioned?
Mike Wilson
I will taking part in this test.
Regards, Scott Baugh

Did you see anything like that mentioned?
not that I saw. they are looking for 6000 participants. I would say the likelihood of anyone getting a prize without doing a full on effort is fairly small. I seem to remember last years winners were in the hundreds of bugs found category. maybe it would be better to give a $100 discount from prescription per 25 found rather than physical prizes which would be a hassle to administer? anyway because I have had some idle time lately I have signed up for the hell of it but really for much the same purpose as Mike... and anyway I am most likely to spend my dollars on Rhino this time unless I am highly impressed by 250 new features..please God splines control : )
Jeff, Where does one go to sign up for this?
I beta tested some Acad Sw once, but I was asked to do it. Is this an invitation only, or a volenter thing?

In case Jeff only checks in weekly...
http://www.solidworks.com/pages/services/BetaProgram.html
I've actually not been checking this newsgroup that much anymore. Hate to say it but I'm not really into CAD as I was before. I thought about entering the Beta program again this year, but I wasn't going to do bug reporting this time around. I was disappointed in last years reward for my many hours of effort and really am just interested in seeing the new features. Besides, with all of my newfound hobbies I have absolutely no time to spare. I was going to go to participate, but with the prerelease coming out 1 month later I'm just gonna wait and hope someone will email me a copy of the What's New. O I may just go to Beta night and see whats going on and network a little. The other reality of it is that I now work for a different company making a different (far less compnents) product with which I really don't push the software like I did at the last place.
Sidenote-I now see why some "defend" the software as they do. I rarely crash anymore and can't complain about the performance anymore either and would question anyone that did bitch/moan/grips about it. But, I would also mention to those that are in my current situation to be aware of the frustrations that the software is really creating for people. I was ready to change careers after dealing with importing large assemblies. Just a reminder to always stay open minded (for those not experiencing many problems) and constructive (for those ready to toss their monitor out the window).
George, The Beta program is offered to anyone on current subscription. I got a notice of 2005s Beta program in my email a few days ago. If you've never done it before I recommend checking it out at least once.

Funny, I don't know how they admin the mailing lists: I've been invited, and we are not currently on subscription...
I'll be testing, and probably for just as personal-centric features as others will <grin>, ... mostly to get a better product.
If I spent my SW04 beta-test hours instead, as overtime in my job, I would be owning much more than what was offered as a top prize.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (rocheey) wrote in

That's the way I look at it. The early testing stages are the best chance to make sure things work correctly.