chuck changing

Hi all, another question, like I said before i`m new to all this so please bear with me. When I want to change the chuck in my Chester super B do I undo the three allen screws behind the chuck ? Besr regards Pete.

Reply to
pete

Yes. There should be an Allen key with a cut-down short end for doing this in the tool kit.

I keep meaning to modify a small ratchet driver to speed things up, but haven't got around to it - as usual.

Reply to
Tim Christian

Reply to
Polymath

Removing the chuck as it is supplied is a right pain, and can take half an hour. Solution: take out the allen screws (and put them in your bits box) put some 6mm studding in the holes with Loctite and *presto* you can now remove the chuck in seconds with and open-ended spanner.

Peter Harris

pete a =E9crit :

Reply to
PH

Thanks everyone for the info. Best regards Pete

Reply to
pete

With many of the Chinese import lathes, the backplate is an integral part of the spindle - there is no threaded spindle nose/register as you would have on a Myford or Boxford. Therefore, there is no option but to remove the chuck from the backplate if you want to change chucks.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I am also fairly new at this! What is the procedure for doing the same job on a Hobbymat, please

Reply to
Clive Dive