chester 3 in 1 super B lathe

Hi folks, I`m a newbe to all this and I`ve aquired a chester super B lathe with a mill. When I engage the clutch for the mill and switch on, the mill chuck rotates in a anti clockwise direction. How can I get it to go in a clockwise direction. I dont have a manual. Best regards Pete.

Reply to
pete

Your problem is quite simple. The drive mechanism means the motor has to drive the lathe and mill in different directions, so a reversible motor is used. There should be a rocker switch on the panel near the on/off switch. Try it in the other position. If the machine is second hand, someone may have buggered about with it, in which case...

I can let you have a copy of the manual, but I have to say it's pretty crap.

Hope this helps

Peter Harris

pete a =E9crit :

Reply to
PH

I nearly bought one of these machines - are they any good? I like the fact that you can turn some sizeable stuff (I was thinking of skimming brake disks etc.)

Reply to
Robin

Thanks Pete, I`ve found the reverse switch, everythings OK. Best regards.

Reply to
pete

For the price I think the Model B is pretty good. I have skimmed brake disks with it with good results.

It does however, have its drawbacks. As you say, one of its attractions is its 8" + centre height but if you plan on turning anything that big, you really need a back-gear to allow you to run it at the right speed and with the necessary torque. The Model B doesn't have one. I have a VFD on mine which allows it to run down to about 50 rpm but doesn't provide the additional torque you would get with a back gear. Skimming brake disks or turning large flywheels tends to be a slow operation as a result.

The mill/drill bit is (typical to 3 in 1 machines) not that useful because of the limited saddle cross feed. As I have two other milling machines, I've never bothered to use it.

The other drawbacks IMO are the lack of bi-directional lead-screw for the power feed and having no cross-feed.

Overall though it is a very useful machine, especially at less than £600.

I've kept mine for the bigger stuff and have bought a good 'ole ML7 for day to day machining (which has all of the attributes missing from the Model B but, comparatively speaking, a limited centre height).

I hope it helps

Mark

Reply to
mark.howard10