Ebonite rod

Hello

Can anyone suggest a source of Ebonite rod? I'm trying to find a 1 inch (dia) x 8 inch piece in order to machine up a replacement handle for a antique microphone.

Many thanks Chris

Christopher_owen

Reply to
Chris

Quote from

rod is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain please phone for details.

Mian uses seem to be restoration of fishing rods and musical instruments.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In article , Chris writes

I don't know how authentic you want this to be, but I have some glass- loaded nylon rod (almost black!) which might do the trick.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

There's a company called Attwater who make a black insulation material for switchboards which is glossy or matt. I know not if they make bar products:

The other possibility is Tufnol at Perry Barr in Birmingham, they make fibrous wound bar products but although we have a catalogue at the factory I can't recall seeing a black bar product in there. Attwater might be worth a looksee.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Chris writes

Chris,

A very long shot, but there used to be a firm in Birmingham called Heaven Dowsett & Co. Ltd. When I say used to be I am talking thirty years at least!!!

They were at 197 Shady Lane, Birmingham 22.

I expect they have gone but you never know!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

Did a search on Google, found a few links there that might be worth following up.....

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Another musical instrument repairs supplier can be found at

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

The message from "Chris" contains these words:

Chris If you can accept an alternative, GPS Agencies ltd in Sussex Tel :01243-574444 sell a black ebony substitute in rods and sheets, rods from 20 to 75mm. They also sell alternative bone, ivory, mother of pearl etc. They don't appear to have a web site, but an e-mail at snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com.

Reply to
News groups

I have just listed some ebonite on ebay that I have found in my workshop. If this is of interest to anyone. I sold some last year to a musical instrument mouthpiece maker and he was pleased with the quality.

Regards, Sue

Reply to
suek67

If you are jimwin52, then your starting price is out by a factor of 5...

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand