Graphit

Gentlemen,

Could somebody point me to where I could buy graphite rod please10mm or 20mm dia about a foot long. Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Search for EDM supplies - graphite rods are used for EDM electrodes in some applications where copper would prove too expensive. Occassionally turn up on ebay as well.

AWEM

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

Do you mean graphite, the crumbly stuff in pencil leads, or resin bonded carbon fibre, as used for making model helicopters, F1 cars, high tech planes.

Reply to
Newshound

Or silver casting equipment suppliers like HS Walsh - stirring rods for the melt, mine are 9.5mm dia x 300 long.

Reply to
Andy Parker

Horrible nasty stuff, surely you don't to machine it? You'll end up looking like a coal miner and all your machines and everything within

50ft will have nasty back smudges on it.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I want to make a Stirling engine and from my research Graphite is used for making the power piston as it is self lubricating and is light and yes I will need to machine it.

Reply to
campingstoveman

A shop vac (with good filtering) attached right to the toolpost is the way to go.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

Reply to
campingstoveman

As has been mentioned EDM suppliers would be your best bet. Do be aware that graphite comes in several different types, and some of the lower quality (cheaper, lower density) types would not be much good for your application. Take a look here for an example of different grades

As you want to use it as an actual component, in an engine, I would think you should be looking for HK-6 or similar.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Gentlemen,