Harrogate"bargain"?

Hi, Just wondered how many fell for this one. I bought a Skoda live ctr ,new, for £ 11 at Harrogate. I never asked about it on the stall, but I assumed it to be no. 1 morse taper. Got it home and tried it in tailstock & some sleeves - didn't fit ! as in very loose & obviuosly wrong angle. ****s sake !! said me , here we go again. After an hours inspection and sifting through machinerys handbook it turns out to be a Brown and Sharpe taper. Now technically this is not a faulty item, but this is a rare taper in the UK and I would have expected a reputable dealer to have pointed this out. I'll not name the dealer here, but it is a Sheffield Co. This will now turn into a major project to try and make this a usable bit of tooling, and delay another project that I had immediate use for it. Caveat emptor etc.. Anybody stuck for a Brown& Sharpe live centre, carbide tip ? Cheers, Mark.

Reply to
Markgengine

Was it labelled in any way? Have you tried contacting the vendor to discuss your problem (in a friendly way, at least to start with)?

Probably not much help to you, but I did have a drill chuck which came on a big B&S taper, I successfully turned the taper down to the nearest Morse size. In your case, even if the taper isn't too hard, it sounds as though you would have to go to a No.0 Morse, & a sleeve for that will bump up the price a bit :-(

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Says it all really.

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

First off just give them a bell, they may not even know of the problem. Most of the traders who supply goods to us home shop guys are quite decent and reasonable. I posted that I bought a little grinder from Chronos from the show and it let the smoke out. On Monday I rang Chronos to explain the problem, no ranting just an explanation. The guy went away for a couple of minutes, came back, apologised for the delay but he was checking stock. He asked if I would be in on Thursday, yes Ok, No problem then, we will deliver a new unit and take the old one away.

No postage, no returns notes, no arguing.

I just have to wait and see now if this will be Ok or I just got a bad one.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Frank, Although the Skoda was a good joke in it's day the machine tool side has had a very good reputation for many years. Skoda live centres are amongst the best you can buy.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

In message , Markgengine writes

It is easily done!

If (and only if) you don't get satisfaction from the vendor then...

Check whether the arbour is integral with the centre (like nearly all drill chucks it is probably not, so separate them by means of a fork shaped wedge).

With luck, the internal taper of the centre will be 'standard' (hopefully something like JT1) and for the price of a suitable 1MT arbour you will then have a usable centre.

With even greater luck you might even be able to sell the S&B arbour!

Reply to
Mike Hopkins

Heee, where's the fun in that? They might take it back and exchange it or refund the money, or something. We couldn't have that, now, it would spoil months of hilarity.

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Much more fun to simply toss it in the trash & then complain at tedious length about "cynical traders" ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Well, despite all the predictable smartass replys there are three main points:

1 - sure I could complain to the vendor( I'm pretty certain these were not labeled as B/S taper), but yes it is a cheap thing, Skoda etc,anyway, and at £11 not worth any hasstle travelling or postage. 2 - Although I have better things to do, the modification to morse taper will be an interesting exercise, the body and taper shank are one piece by the way. If that doesn't work it will make an offset adjustable centre for taper turning. 3 - I hope that any of you who feel that Skoda is still a joke name take a very careful look at the last small "Burnard" chuck they bought( as in country of origin)
Reply to
Markgengine

I seem to remember that Skoda built the hub for the London Eye, one of the few people with the facilities to do the job.

Peter

Peter A Forbes