OT BT Internet fTP Access

Anyone out there using bt internet (not bt yahoo gecities) web space?

For some reason when I log on using my ftp client I can no longer find or access the directories my files are in.

However, they are all still there when I type the site URL into a browser, and all intact. I just can't upload or download any files - it appears that my directory has moved somewhere, and the ftp logs me in to a site where I can't do anything.

Anyone else experienced this or have any idea how to fix it? BT helpdesks are about as much use a chocolate teapot, and I just get return e-mails telling me to sign up to the IT helpdesk for £25 where they tell me how to conect a modem and set up e-mail.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I use BT Internet and didn't even know there was any web space. I've never been anle to find any, how do you get it? Whenever I try to create a web site it just sends me to yahoo geocities. I tried to ask someone, but their "help" lines are hopeless and they never reply to emails.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

It's dead simple Kevin, we all have the space (or had maybe!), it's just that BT never really made a point of telling people about it.

To find it, just type in "

" then whatever the first part of your e-mail address is. For example, mine is
, and all my files are still there, I just can't get to them.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

It seems that this is perhaps a discontinued feature Peter, although I could see your pictures substituting my bt account for yours in the url just bounced me to me normal bt homepage.

Regards Kevin

PS If all else fails you could ring BT Internet and have a fruitless conversation with someone in Mumbai reading a standard script. I rang with some technical issue once, and having explained the problem he asked in faltering english if I had plugged the modem in!!

It's dead simple Kevin, we all have the space (or had maybe!), it's

Reply to
Kevin

Peter,

My is working fine - I'm using Terrapin and the server name Terrapin is using is ftp.btopenworld.com, the username is my full email address, and the password is my normal password.

For new readers, this webspace was part of the BTopenworld package and ceased to be offered to new BTyahoo customers, who were given space at geocities instead.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Steve, I'm using FTP commander and have been for years. It's been fine and I can log on to all my other ftp sites, but BT is continuing to be a problem.

Tried using ftp.btopenworld.com instead of ftp.btinternet.com and got exactly the same thing - I log in to a totally different directory with no files and access denied to upload/download anything.

I think that BT have moved the directory to another server location, or moved the hosting to another server that I can't get access to. Very frustrating.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Perhaps they are housekeeping and haven't got to "W" yet...

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Peter,

I clicked on a file and I viewed it just fine. Perhaps they have daily download limits on your webspace and it was exceeded?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Darn, didn't read things through. Have you given it a day and tried again?

Since your material is up on http I would immediately grab a copy of all the files if you don't have a good backup already. A good program for that is wget from

My uncle had a tiny little advertizement on his personal webspace (not btinternet) the isp decided to go into the webhosting business and killed his site w/o even a word. Needless to say he lost his place in the search engines and hasn't done well this year selling tipi poles.

Oh, loved that ball turning attachment!

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Check with BT. My website stuff has been moved and I've had three notifications about the change and how now to access the new setup. This was a business account, don't know if the personal ones had the same update.

Reply to
Lester Caine