OT, but made me smile

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:14:30 -0000, "Steve" wrote:

I can't think why anyone would want to stage something like this (OK, I know, it is Ireland.....), but that has set me wondering about a couple of things. First, where was the driver? presume he was operating the hiab from the water side of the wagon (can't see him on the other side), not a nice place to be when it flipped over although of course that wouldn't have happened instantaneously. Second, trying to think of what would have caused it to tip right over I can only think that a valve on the Hiab controls must have jammed open (or have been deliberately held open). Yes the load would have been reducing as water ran out of the car, but if the lifting was accellerated that would have increased the effective load, but I'd have expected the driver to realise something was going wrong in time to stop lifting, before reaching the point of no return. I may be wrong there, perhaps once the wagon's wheels come off the ground it's almost too late as the counterweight moment will start to reduce slightly. Perhaps the driver swung the load out instead of in when it was high enough to clear the quay? The wagon is at a greater angle in the third pic than the second, suggesting that he's lifting the load faster or just possibly the outrigger ram is loising fluid. Third, what are the two ropes dangling from the car as it comes out of the water? There may be an innocent explanation, perhaps something to do with the opereation og getting a sling round it, but they just might be anchored to something heavier under the water.....

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Could be a simpler explanation:- They are Irish after all

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Just looks like the thing was on it's limit and the guy just snatched the hiab control across, the sudden change in direction/load was enough to twist the chassis of the lorry and start the roll, if he had done everything very slow, and kept it close, as mentioned, he may have got away with it.

Joules

Reply to
Joules

Snipped...

A picture of the thing turning over would be good to see... It's very difficult to tell how much he slewed round, the whole system is on the edge, how about the twisting motion forcing the outrigger pad off the edge, its very close to begin with?

Makes sense, these Hi-AB type lifts are based on standard carriers so the normal vehicle suspension comes into play as you slew round to the rear, which also contributes to a CofG change,

I can't see much movement from the original position

And that is the root cause of this.

This is just the wrong machine for this job, and this is not a simple lift.

Another example is the use of straps through the windows, with the vehicle full of water its easy to crush the roof. You would only sling like this if you had already decided to take it to the crusher. Mind you, full of sea water thats probably a no brainer!

If I get chance I'll post some pics of a horse we slung and lifted out of a ravine with an 18Ton telescopic. Not often you a get a lift that kicks the S**t out of anyone and anything nearby - The Vet took a beating that day. "I daren't give it anymore, (tranquilizer) I'll kill the bugger" resonates in the memory.

And just to keep on topic, I've seen a machine like the one in John's pictures under CNC control...

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The boat in the foreground looks like a curragh, which might place us in Ireland...

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

The images seem to have gone from the page just as I wanted to show the wife - anyone have them cached (or another location for them)?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

The server probably had kittens, as it was on a lot of newsgroups, including rcm which is mostly stateside people.

There was another post there which gave the actual name and location of the place it happened.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Hi Geo, It still works on my server. The newspaper story is mentioned here.

------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi, The full answer has been found from this post to the OldEngine group. Go to this site...

scroll down to "End of season." Thankfully, nobody was hurt. This Web site tells you about this little village, Roundstone.
Enjoy, Orrin

Reply to
Dave Croft

Mine too.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I can get the page but the pictures are just empty squares - are you sure you don't have them in your browser cache? (mine gets cleared every day)

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Positive. That was the first time I had looked at the page on this computer. Last time I looked was on a different computer, using a different ISP.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

For some further images ... go to ...

click ... photo events click ... 'click here to enter gallery' (beneath the picture) drop the menu click ... car in the pier

I also am unable, now to get at the original batch. :(

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

Yes,

I can email then to you if you wish.

Dick Gays, Leicester.

Reply to
Dick Gays

Thanks for the offer Dick, I eventually found that my daughter had them in her cache so was able to retrieve the series...

regards, Geo

Reply to
Geo