OT: Courier Conundrum

After a minor skirmish with a kerb, our Astra van broke not only one of its alloy wheels, but also the main rear suspension leg, which is a cast part.

Got the car home OK, about a mile through the back roads on Saturday evening. Looked at it on Monday and found that 3 of the four studs holding the hub/stub axle to the arm were broken, and it was all held on by one stud...

Anyway, got the vehicle collected by local car transporter guy and off to the dealers. We have a Trade Club account with the Luton Vauxhall dealers, so ordered all the bits, plus some more as it was due for a service.

Got our local courier guy to come in this morning and take all the bits to the dealer, who is not local,

Get a call later on, transporter arrived OK, van is in the workshop, where are the parts?

After some to-ing and fro-ing it seems that a largish box with all the smaller parts (wheel axle/hub, water pump, cam belt, filters etc etc) couldn't be found.

Spoke to courier, asked him what he had delivered, and he produces signed delivery note with box of bits plainly on there. Dealer says their CCTV doesn't show the box being unloaded....

The new wheel and tyres and the main suspension beam are there, what they say they haven't got is the (expensive) box of small parts.

Courier says he has delivered it, dealer says he hasn't.

Who do we believe??

Peter

Peter A Forbes

In article , Peter A Forbes writes

If the courier's got a signed delivery note for the correct number of boxes, it's the dealer's problem.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

dealers, so

couldn't be found.

Peter,

Bad luck all round, I sympathise.

It would seem that they both have 'evidence' ie the courier has a signed receipt and the dealer has the cctv. Only solution is to meet with both of them at the same time and get it resolved.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

what they say

Been there. You have to do the legwork on this. It's down to signatures. That's why couriers should always get a printed name aswell.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Could you contact the couriers and ask to speak to area manager and ask him to meet you at the Vauxhall dealers where they will show him evidence on their CCTV system that will show the box was not taken off the delivery van. Emphasising that this needs to be resolved ASAP as your company van is now off the road.

At the same time ask the dealers to keep a copy of the CCTV tape. Would be interesting to hear what their response would be to this.

Lionel;

Reply to
Lionel

meet you at the Vauxhall dealers where

taken off the delivery van. Emphasising

interesting to hear what their response

As always, things are not black and white apparently.

The stores guy asked someone else to sign for the stuff, the guy who signed is known and not a problem, but he didn't see what was unloaded.

The CCTV is clear on the new wheel being taken out, but the axle and the box can't be resolved. Now I know that the axle is a big lump as I loaded it into the courier's van, so if they can resolve a wheel on the screen, the difference between a 2cu ft box and a large black axle and arms nearly 5ft across must be reasonably easy to see. I cannot see the axle and box being taken out together, it's just too unwieldy a lump, and very unbalanced in the hand.

Meeting has been called for 14.30 tomorrow, courier (one-man band, has been very good in the past and we have no reason not to trust him) is coming up at his expense, we are all going to the dealers so that we can see the CCTV footage.

We hope it's a case of the box being put down in someone's way and it has been moved out of the way and out of sight, but otherwise it's a bit of a mess.

In court, the signature for the goods would probably stand up against indefined CCTV pictures. They have the courier's van on film for most of the visit, and his version of what happened tallys pretty well with the CCTV, but no box!

The value of the missing bits is over £300 retail....

Peter

Peter A Forbes

ask him to meet you at the Vauxhall dealers where

box was not taken off the delivery van. Emphasising

Would be interesting to hear what their response

loaded it into

across must be

against indefined

Peter,

Glad to hear that there is progress - best of luck at the meeting.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

FWIW see if the video is 'real time' or a cheap 'shared time' unit. If its the cheap and nasty version you will be amazed at what you can miss as the monitor/tape jumps from camera to camera. eg 4 cameras on a 5 second pause can miss 15 seconds between relevant images!!! We now only install the real time duplex version [these record in real time every camera irrespective of what is displayed on the monitor]and every cam. can be reviewed. It may be worth getting the cctv installer to show you how to review the tape properly if it is in fact a duplex version! HTH and good luck!

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

Not if the courier delivered it to the wrong address, a problem I have had recently.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

In article , Charles Lamont writes

But one of the boxes did arrive, so that's out.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

Had a phone call at 8.00am, the parts were found outside the dealership on the pavement in a black bin bag, still inside the original shipping box. Nothing missing or damaged.

Make of that what you will :-))

Peter

Prepair Ltd

"The truth is out there"

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

number of

Peter,

Good result. I imagine (assuming they weren't in a black poly bag before) that "someone" had a pang of concience. Either someone at the dealership realised that the game was up, or the courier had the same thought. Either way it would be interesting to ask to see the CCTV pictures covering that area

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

They haven't offered any, which may or may not support my belief that it was either our guy forgetting them or an opportune thief at the dealership.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Congratulations.

I had a non-delivered package in 1999. Eventually I managed to get a copy of the signed delivery note faxed through. Curiously, The signature appeared to have been done with the same heavy marker pen that the driver had used and had the name of a lass that had left the mailing room (and the company) nine months before the alleged delivery. Unfortunately, by the time that this came out, it was too late for the supplier to submit a claim to the carrier. The supplier, took a loss on the job and supplied new kit, but it left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand