OT - Scrap tyres??

Hi all.

Just had a little chat with a mate who is investigating the notion of building and living in an "Earthship" type eco-house and I have a question on his behalf:

Where might a bloke acquire scrap tyres? Is it just a case of ask the local tyre dealers to hang onto some, or do they have to account for their disposal (like wheel balancing weights)?

Not really something I've had to acquire before. Any help or advice will be gratefully recieved.

Cheers guys, Scruff.

Reply to
scruffybugger

I think that you'll find tyre changing places only too happy to give you as many as you want, as they are charged for disposal.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

And they've already added the cost of said disposal to their customers bill.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Whereabouts are you? I've got about 60 I could do with getting shut of and will deliver them if you're not too far away. Any particular sizes?

Oily Martin. P.S I'm north west.

Reply to
Oily

You'll find containers full of them at council recycling sites where they now charge people to dispose of them and in turn get charged themselves. Also as you've been told any tyre place will be more than happy to give you theirs as they get charged too. Plenty lying about down country roads too where people chuck them rather than pay the disposal costs. I reckon if you stood outside a big tyre place and told each customer you'll take their old ones away rather than have the tyre company charge you you'd fill a lorry with them inside a day.

An advert in your local paper or a couple of cards in shops and supermarkets saying bring me your old tyres and save yourself the tyre place disposal fee would have them rolling in (no pun intended).

You could actually make money from it if you charged half the standard disposal fee. Council recycling sites charge about £2.50 per tyre now.

Reply to
Dave Baker

He will have to watch out that he doesn't fall foul of the Waste Handling/Transportation regulations.

A lot of local authorities have some zealots who love to poke their noses into other folk's business, and AFAIK, waste/scrap tyres in quantity would come under that legislation.

Contacting local tyre dealers might help, but some of them have contracts for disposal.

Look at the DEFRA and Envirowise websites for chapter and verse.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Yearning for the days when the 5/11 bonfire was built around 3or 4 1100 x

20's...

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

I`m with Peter on this one.You need a waste carriers license to move/ store volumes of tyres. Another thing that tyre companies have forgotten is that there is a surcharge built in to the list price of new tyres to cover the cost of their ultimate disposal. Most old tyres in Scotland go to the Blue Circle cement works at Dunbar to fuel the kilns. Mark.

Reply to
mark

That reminds me. After an accident repair my Volvo wore out a set of rear tyres in

7,000 miles. I therefore asked the man at Quick-Fit if I could keep them as evidence of the poor repair. 3 months later (and another set of rear tyres later) the matter is resolved (via 3 garages and an independent inspector). I still have the two worn tyres that have been viewed by all an sundry.

I go to the local dump with a bootfull of household rubbish and these two tyres. I was told that I couldn't leave the tyres at the council dump.

So what do I do? Being too decent to throw them in a nearby ditch they're gathering moss at the back of the garage and will probably stay there and be inherited by the next owner.

Regards

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Get a few more and you can grow spuds in them.

Start with a stack 3 high, fill with earth and poke a handful of spuds in. As the spuds grow, add another tyre and fill with soil to leave only a couple of inches of foliage showing. Continue until 6 or 7 tyres high

- then wait for the crop to mature. To harvest, just knock the lot over - or remove the tyres one by one as and when spuds are required.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

So presumably he needs to ge another crap repair done to his volvo first ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

If I wanted a garden like the back yard of Quick Fit I would made one already. Bob Flowerdew appears to be a likeable character but his small holding must look like the local tip.

Thankfully the Volvo is my employers problem and not mine. If it was my money the crash repairers in Bishop's Stortford would have ended up in court but the contract hire company couldn't be arsed.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

That is kinda in line with what I suspected.

There seems to be a licence or permit for every damn thing these days (with the handy little fee to fund London 2012 or Oor Tony's bloody war). It's what discouraged me from making biodiesel (my cousin got pretty heavily fined by SEPA for not having all relelvent licences for collecting his WVO from a couple of local chippies - he got caught when he applied to pay duty on what he was making).

My mate has spoken to other folks looking at Earthships (mainly as retirement homes due to very low daily running costs) and has found that local council planning departments usually throw a conniptive fit when the topic is raised... but don't bat an eyelid at approving "conventional" (read: excessive carbon footprint) developments of hundreds of modern houses tacked onto rural hamlets.

Am I the only one that finds this bloody depressing??

Thanks for the replys folks, I'll pass the advice on...

Cheers, Scruff.

Reply to
scruffybugger

Oi!!!

As a smallholder myself (among many other things) I'll have you know I resemble that remark!

Thanks for the replys folks, I'll be passing the advice and ideas along.

Cheers, Scruff.

Reply to
scruffybugger

Paint 'em! Couple of tins of any old gloss from the local tip, and Bob's yer uncle...they come up looking like something Homebase would retail for £39.95

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

where they

themselves.

reckon if you

standard

would come under

contracts for

[...]

When I was looking for VAST quantities of top soil last year (11 six wheelers full) to cover over a rubble infill in some land I almost bought, I was told by the Environmental Police that if it came from a neighbours farm where it was removed as surplus before development, he / I needed a waste licence to move it as it was a waste product. However if he 'harvested' the same soil andsold it to me as a comodity, it became a 'product' and no longer needed a licence. Truely the madmen are in charge of the loony bin.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

"scruffybugger" wrote

[...]

No, you're not the only one - Politicians and major corporations can't wait to jump on the environmental bandwagon to improve their public image / sales figures (don't ask which applies to which!). But the result always seems to be more and more complicated contradictory and ultimately useless legislation.

Reply to
Nick H

From your local tip? Won't work around here, Poole Council have decided they are good at the recycling game and no doubt charge us a fair bit for it.

BUT since they retook control of the local tip after many years being run on their behalf by a private company not even a pebble is allowed to be removed from the site for reuse by the public! Was a time when if you spotted something that could be reused you could have it for a few bob! I call that natural recycling.

I even used to take my steel swarf there, no problem then. I doubt that would be the case now! But in any case as I now produce a lot more than I used to, it's now worth selling at the scrappy next door to the tip ;)

Wayne.....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

If most people on local planning committee's are anything like a friend of mine who's is on one, they are self important Tossers. I'll actually call him one to his face when the subject comes up.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Ooop sorry about that sloppy snipping! LOL one of our local councillors is an Ex Machine tool dealer, which is how I knew him. One of the biggest crooks I ever met ;) If only they knew or perhaps they do, and are just all stewing in the same pot.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon