OT - Scrap tyres??

No he didn't, that was Scruff. But he does echo your feelings about local councillors, their self-importance is equalled only by the incompetence of most of the council officers. -- NHH

Reply to
Nick H

I reckon there are a few acres x 8-10 foot high just outside Romsey (Hants). They have been forced to fence it all off and then applied for permission to install a big tyre munching machine to knit them into condoms or similar (reminds me of a song??**). There was some problem or other and nothing seems to happen. You might find they could supply you with all you want.

Bob

** ....................................... a sitting by the fire knitting condoms from an india rubber tyre.

Anyone remember the rest?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

"Wayne Weedon" wrote (snip):-

Nope, they seem totally oblivious as to how they are percieved by 'normal' people. I work with one - otherwise a perfectly nice chap, but when it comes to his council work he seems to become totally divorced from reality.

Reply to
Nick H

Our Council here in Bristol went through a phase of making nice benches and tables from old tyres, squashed & vitrified in some clever way. And very good they were too, still be there when the mountains come again!

Well no, it seems no one thought just how amusing the local worthies would find it to set them afire & they did just that, not once, not twice but three times at which point the Council gave up & now there are sad concrete pads that look as though a rocket was launched off them.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Write to the council and ask them how melting down/landfill/incinerating is more environmentally friendly than having unwanted items put back into use.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

You'll find they will tell you "it's not safe, against 'ealf an' safety reg.s blah de blah", which is tosh of course, as in this context the relevant laws only cover the SALE of dodgy goods, not the taking away and recycling. Not that logic, the rule of law, or common sense will be of any use here. They will claim that you might take(for example) a TV home and electrocute youreself or your loved ones, and then sue them. If you can find a shyster willing to take on such a case you would be doing well. A plague on all of them. On the plus side our local tip is manned(mostly) by the good kind of council workie; the kind that will let you take your pick in exchange for a crate of beer or a fiver.

cheers, David

13 Mar, 09:22, Stephen Howard wrote:
Reply to
penfold

I get newspapers by the car boot full from our local tip. You'd be amazed at what's found it's way out of there under a layer of paper (the collectables skip is usually my first port of call)...

I've had 2 knackered chiwanese compressors that've made cracking barbecues for a couple of mates (wedding present in one case, divorce present in the other lol). Got about a dozen or so CI sash weights to add to the stockpile (in preparation for the home foundry being set up) last time. The only bugger is that I've just sold the car and bought a crewcab LDV 400...

...Which in the eyes of our dickbrained local council (Dumfries & Galloway, if anyone's interested) automatically means that my carefully collected milk cartons, glass bottles and tin cans now class as trade waste! Bastards...

Cheers, Scruff.

Reply to
scruffybugger

Down at my local tip they have to put red stickers that say "Sold as Spares" on all the electrical items. Apparently that's enough to cover them.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

What on earth is a 5/11 bonfire?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

5th November, setting light to things, it's a bit of a tradition.

Duncan Munro

Thats 29.5 pence in old money

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Shouldn't that notation be11/5 then?

Oily

Reply to
Oily

Only in parts of the world where orange is a color, not a colour. Its quite annoying the month first notation, My birthday is 9th November....

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

IMO, the most logical date format is the Japanese one - yy/mm/dd. I adopted this many years ago for computer files which have a common name and an individual date, like VAT returns and the like - then they automatically get listed in the correct chronological order. Just like numbers, most significant digits first.

However, I find it looks odd for normal use, and like most Brits I stick to the dd/mm/yy format in correspondence and conversation. The one I can't abide at any price is the US mm/dd/yy format. Heaven only knows which mental defective ever thought that one up! Exceptionally annoying (but fairly typical) that Microsoft make you work quite hard to get rid of it.

Interesting to find that US Immigration and Customs now both use dd/mm/yy on their landing cards - an admission that the rest of the world mostly doesn't use mm/dd/yy?

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

David Littlewood wrote: [dates]

Not only Japanese, but that's also the ISO 8601 standard date format. Well, almost, they use hyphens to separate the elements and a 4-digit year:

YYYY-MM-DD

There is also a hyphen-less version, which I prefer for dates for computer thingies.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Right. I emailed the folks what built the big fancy earthship up in Fife for a bit more info on the idea, this is the reply I got: "Thanks for your e mail.

We were required to get an exemption from a waste handling license (which would normally be required to handle tyres) to take a quantity of tyres on a one off basis. Once you have this they should be easily obtainable, indeed we got paid to take them (50p per tyre)!"

Sound about right to you folks??

Cheers, Scruff.

Reply to
scruffybugger