Quick Roll Call

Historically this has been a busy and interesting Newsgroup, but activity has dwindled to virtually nothing these days. I check it every day for
activity but I wondered - how many people are doing a similar thing via a News Reader - not the ripped off copies of postings on Google Groups or similar Forum organised offerings, but actually reading it as a Newsgroup?
Andrew

I suspect that the forum on homeworkshop.co.uk has replaced the general interest in this NG, or even MadModder?
However, I read it every day via NNTP, as always.
On 13/11/2014 16:38, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I still check from time to time. It would be interesting to know whether everyone has died or moved to a better place ... hmm, maybe that's the same thing ;-)
On 13/11/2014 17:31, no snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

I check it most, if not every, day.
While I'm not someone who makes models, I do some home machining etc. for various reasons and find it useful.
"Brian Reay" wrote in message wrote:

Still here and alive and kicking:)
... sadly several of the old gang from years past are no longer with us :(
Andrew
Too true Andrew, too true. Both Mark and Tim were good chaps. Tim's Jones and Shipman 520 is in my hands and awaiting reawakening
Charles
On 31/01/16 15:38, Brian Reay wrote:

I have a look most days and all the newsgroups I look at I use Thunderbird to read. Sadly postings seemed to have diminished in frequency on the 4 newsgroups I follow, rec.crafts.metalworking might be an exception but most of that traffic is unrelated to metalworking.
On 31/01/16 18:29, David Billington wrote:

I find YouTube a remarkable source of information on a whole range of practical topics.
I'd struggle to think of something I've looked for and not found an example of someone who has done it, generally several you can compare. People even show their 'disasters' and you can even learn from those. Of course, for subjects related to this group, the range of techniques for a given task vary a great deal- depending on the skill and facilities of the presenter but that is, in itself, useful in my view.
OK, sometimes some presenters lack 'presentation skills' but you can generally get something useful from their videos. Plus, of course, some are in foreign languages but that is the beauty of video- if a picture paints a 1000 words, how much better is a video ;-)
I've picked up countless 'tips' and techniques in addition to the maim topics I've searched for. It really is a vast resource.

I check most every day but lots of the time can't help because I'm on an island north of Seattle. I have just about given up on rcm because of all the politics and trolls. I don't really see that here. I make my living as a machinist but it is also a hobby. So it's convenient that I own a machine shop to work in. And it's on my 10 or so acres 300 feet from my house. Eric
On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 11:35:57 PM UTC, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Im still lurking here, although less than I used to. Work and Kids seem to take up more time now...
Dave

I'm still here with an nntp reader. Don't post much unless it's something that I can leap into with a useful comment.
Occasionally I dip into RCM, but haven't posted there for a long time.
I'm ashamed to say that I've drifted over to Practical Machinist, HomeWorkshopMachinist and a couple of other web based bulletin boards.
I don't feel proud of this :-(
Regards
--
Mark Rand
RTFM

"Mark Rand" wrote in message wrote:

Don't feel bad about it Mark - I've been known to meet you on those forums (fora?) myself :)
Andrew

forum, fora, antenna, antennae, etc (already plural even in its abbreviation)
On 13/11/14 16:38, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I agree it is quiet but I still check it every day with a news reader. Another newsgroup I used to follow, rec.crafts.glass, and was active seems to have totally died but I suspect that was largely due to people going elsewhere driven away by the constant bitching between a number of the newsgroup regulars at the time. I still follow rec.crafts.metalworking as some interesting stuff appears from time to time but that newgroup requires fairly heavy filtering to get rid of the political and other BS to make it worth looking at.
On 13/11/14 16:38, Andrew Mawson wrote:

+1
--Peter Fairbrother

Seldom anything to contribute but here every day.
Andy

Ditto
--
Dave Baker

/coughs and dittos too
Could it be that the format of this site is less user friendly than others such as Mad Modder or Practical Machinist or even the Model Engineer site?
"Anzaniste" wrote in message

Such is the nature of 'progress' I suspect, where everyone wants everything presented on a 'Gui' plate :)
I'm still amused to occasionally come across my postings from DECADES ago on this Newsgroup, when googling for things. I've even caught myself searching for something that I've obviously searched for and got answers, and FORGOTTEN - oh dear - old age coming on !
Andrew