Quick Roll Call

Historically this has been a busy and interesting Newsgroup, but activity has dwindled to virtually nothing these days. I check it every day for activity but I wondered - how many people are doing a similar thing via a News Reader - not the ripped off copies of postings on Google Groups or similar Forum organised offerings, but actually reading it as a Newsgroup?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I suspect that the forum on homeworkshop.co.uk has replaced the general interest in this NG, or even MadModder?

However, I read it every day via NNTP, as always.

Reply to
gareth

I still check from time to time. It would be interesting to know whether everyone has died or moved to a better place ... hmm, maybe that's the same thing ;-)

Reply to
<no_spam

I agree it is quiet but I still check it every day with a news reader. Another newsgroup I used to follow, rec.crafts.glass, and was active seems to have totally died but I suspect that was largely due to people going elsewhere driven away by the constant bitching between a number of the newsgroup regulars at the time. I still follow rec.crafts.metalworking as some interesting stuff appears from time to time but that newgroup requires fairly heavy filtering to get rid of the political and other BS to make it worth looking at.

Reply to
David Billington

+1

--Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Seldom anything to contribute but here every day.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Parker

Ditto

Reply to
Dave Baker

/coughs and dittos too

Reply to
Christopher Edwards

Could it be that the format of this site is less user friendly than others such as Mad Modder or Practical Machinist or even the Model Engineer site?

Reply to
Anzaniste

Such is the nature of 'progress' I suspect, where everyone wants everything presented on a 'Gui' plate :)

I'm still amused to occasionally come across my postings from DECADES ago on this Newsgroup, when googling for things. I've even caught myself searching for something that I've obviously searched for and got answers, and FORGOTTEN - oh dear - old age coming on !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

They are web sites for the ignorant consumer of computers, whereas here is the original NNTP-based textual Internet.

Reply to
gareth

Gareth, I think that that is a bit harsh!

Both groups have some very well versed contributors, and certainly Madmodder has very few of the less desirable members. I speak as a regular contributor to both.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

me too :>/

Reply to
Geo

Not so, there are many machinists out therewho are not computer experts and who would not or do not understand the pre-WWW Internet, as I find when visiting the homes of members of my local club to sort out their computer problems for them (usually with a little bit of green eyes of envy for their new computers, as the ones here are W95 and XP; no reason to change them)

... and the reception of their wise words about machining is very welcome to me.

Reply to
gareth

Greetings Andrew, I check this newsgroup with Agent almost every day. Like so many newsgroups it has pretty much dried up. I also read rcm almost every day but I'm pretty close to giving up on it because there is almost no metalworking discussed. Most messages are posted by right wing lunatics. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Likewise - I found some of my old posts - on subjects that I now have completely "temporarily mislaid"...

Reply to
Geo

The OP is talking specifically about USENET which does not have a "site"...

Reply to
Geo

I'm still amused to occasionally come across my postings from DECADES ago on this Newsgroup, when googling for things. I've even caught myself searching for something that I've obviously searched for and got answers, and FORGOTTEN - oh dear - old age coming on !

Andrew

Start worrying when you begin to reply to your own postings, I know, I did !!

Reply to
BRAD

Did some stick welding indoors today on a chair, something I very seldom do. Had trouble striking the arc - they say it's called stick welding 'cos everyone sticks the rod from time to time - and I couldn't get that sizzling bacon sound. Turned out the rods were **** cheap and nasty, a better rod and all was well, though it's probably the ugliest weld ever ..

Anyway, I was also cooking some beef mince in the kitchen at about that time, and when I went back to the workshop I thought, hmmm, that smells nice, but who's been coking bacon? Turns out it was the smell from the stick welding ..

so stick welding not only sounds like bacon frying, it smells like it too!

-- Peter F

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I check in most days with Thunderbird and a News reader on the tablet when away. I much prefer the "Newsgroup" format and whilst a member of some dislike Forums. Also a member of a number of Yahoo Groups (the non political ones).

Whilst here a Merry Christmas to all our readers!

Richard

Reply to
Richard