Quick Roll Call

...mmm bacon :)

If your rods are hard to start try having a bit of solid stock next to what you are welding on, and strike up on that where making a mess doesn't matter, then move to where you want the weld to be - the hot rod strikes much more easily.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Aye, same here but no tablet . I prefer the format here rather than signing up to a Forum

Bluey

Reply to
Bluey69

I'm a relatively new user of this group, ie some 2 years, but have been reading other groups for over 12.

Regards wasbit

Reply to
wasbit

I still look at the group as often as possible, I seem to suffer problems with the BT outlook express reader, but generally ok. Having 2 little kids around doesnt help though when on the PC, so do miss the group some nights, and then get emails on the phone instead, when hiding in the workshop ! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Good tip, but with these rods even that won't work. I hear that waaay back they used to use bare rods, no flux, which must have been tricky indeed! But probably easier than with these **** rods ...

Talking of rods, I was looking at some websights, most of them recommended 6011 or 7014 rods. The sights were american, and 6011 and

7014 seem to be widespread there - but not here, where they are not readily available. Anyone know why?

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Nice topic Andrew

The answer is that no, I don't come here regularly. It's too quiet.

However one of the greatest things about this group in its heyday was that you had intelligent people, posting helpful stuff in a single forum. I hate the way that web forums like MadModder (which has some good stuff) b elieve that having multiple sections makes it easier to read things. It act ually means that I ignore some sections. Only half of the sections have bee n posted in this month suggesting a lack of vibrancy that rivals this group

Charles

Reply to
charlesp

On the various forums I frequent I almost always sort by 'unread posts' thus seeing everything new irrespective of which sub-forum it has been posted in. This would seem to alleviate your concern?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Can anybody explain the difference between a forum and a news group. I have been involved in the former for some time but have only recently come across newsgroups.

Reply to
Anzaniste

News Groups are a text only form of communication held on 'News Servers' the information passing from one to another and theoretically persisting for ever. You employ a program called a 'News Reader' that downloads to your pc content of newsgroups that you subscribe to. They pre-date internet communications based on graphical interfaces by several years. News Groups are unmoderated, and posts cannot be deleted as they will exist somewhere on the www.

The content of many news groups has been 'lifted' by web based 'sites' and presented as though it is a discussion forum - some even claim to have the copyright on content, which they don't as it rests with the originator.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , Geo writes

Me too :/

With a a proper Usenet news reader. Turnpike.

John

Reply to
JC Morrice

Given that it took me a week to see the message, I guess I'm no longer checking once a day...

I cancelled my Giganews account a couple of years ago and started using Eternal September, but I still use Usenet, rather than a web based front end.

Given the flurry of interest you've stirred up, maybe we'll have a renaissance :-)

Reply to
Mark Rand

Curses Mark you've seen through my cunning plan :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Errrmm....I recently started looking here again, but haven't really spent much time reading it for a couple of years now, just a little too quiet. Don't use a news reader anymore, just log into it via Google. Still, it is nice to see that I still recognise most of the names responding in here.

Reply to
Peter Neill

We're having a renaissance here Peter so good to see you back!

It's a case of 'Use it or lose it'

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Same here. I've got google set up to send me a daily digest of the groups activities, although the digest's reliability can be a bit sporadic at times. The big problem now, is there are far too many places to chat/discuss, so lots of once popular newsgroups/forums just don't have the activity they once did.

Moray

Reply to
moray

Thanks Andrew for the explanation, does mean that there arn't threads?

Reply to
Anzaniste

Andy

Topics, yes. Readable in a time series, yes. That probably equals threads.

I don't get hung up on News Servers vs Web. That's like arguing about going in the saloon or the public bar. I'll go to whichever one has the best atmosphere and conversation.

Charles

Reply to
charlesp

Sorry to say that Ive always used the google interface for this NG. Just never got round to setting up a proper reader...

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

I have no problem with people reading the posts, or indeed contributing, via a web service. But I DO have a problem when those web services claim the content as their own !

BTW several Newsreaders refer to sequences of postings in time order as 'threaded' so I suppose that's where the term 'threads' has come from in forums.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In Usenet, every post has a unique ID. Yours was:- m4t8df$f9m$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me and was in reply to news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com

Those headers are in every post, so news readers (whether behind your screen or in google's or Yahoooo's data centres) can work out which posts are in reply to what posts. Then it's easy for them to work out threads or conversations, even if the subject gets changed within the thread.

Reply to
Mark Rand