Quick Roll Call

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 13:52:59 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"

Likewise - I found some of my old posts - on subjects that I now have completely "temporarily mislaid"...
I'm still amused to occasionally come across my postings from DECADES ago on this Newsgroup, when googling for things. I've even caught myself searching for something that I've obviously searched for and got answers, and FORGOTTEN - oh dear - old age coming on !
Andrew
Start worrying when you begin to reply to your own postings, I know, I did !!
Did some stick welding indoors today on a chair, something I very seldom do. Had trouble striking the arc - they say it's called stick welding 'cos everyone sticks the rod from time to time - and I couldn't get that sizzling bacon sound. Turned out the rods were **** cheap and nasty, a better rod and all was well, though it's probably the ugliest weld ever ..
Anyway, I was also cooking some beef mince in the kitchen at about that time, and when I went back to the workshop I thought, hmmm, that smells nice, but who's been coking bacon? Turns out it was the smell from the stick welding ..
so stick welding not only sounds like bacon frying, it smells like it too!
-- Peter F
"Peter Fairbrother" wrote in message

...mmm bacon :)
If your rods are hard to start try having a bit of solid stock next to what you are welding on, and strike up on that where making a mess doesn't matter, then move to where you want the weld to be - the hot rod strikes much more easily.
Andrew
On 15/11/14 08:01, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Good tip, but with these rods even that won't work. I hear that waaay back they used to use bare rods, no flux, which must have been tricky indeed! But probably easier than with these **** rods ...
Talking of rods, I was looking at some websights, most of them recommended 6011 or 7014 rods. The sights were american, and 6011 and 7014 seem to be widespread there - but not here, where they are not readily available. Anyone know why?
-- Peter Fairbrother

They are web sites for the ignorant consumer of computers, whereas here is the original NNTP-based textual Internet.
"gareth" wrote in message

Gareth, I think that that is a bit harsh!
Both groups have some very well versed contributors, and certainly Madmodder has very few of the less desirable members. I speak as a regular contributor to both.
Andrew

Not so, there are many machinists out therewho are not computer experts and who would not or do not understand the pre-WWW Internet, as I find when visiting the homes of members of my local club to sort out their computer problems for them (usually with a little bit of green eyes of envy for their new computers, as the ones here are W95 and XP; no reason to change them)

... and the reception of their wise words about machining is very welcome to me.

I still look at the group as often as possible, I seem to suffer problems with the BT outlook express reader, but generally ok. Having 2 little kids around doesnt help though when on the PC, so do miss the group some nights, and then get emails on the phone instead, when hiding in the workshop ! Bob

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 05:32:05 -0800 (PST), Anzaniste
The OP is talking specifically about USENET which does not have a "site"...
From my perspective a newsgroup is infinitely preferable to a web forum. No unnecessary pictures, no silly emoticons, no distracting colours, and best of all no advertisements. All it has is the English language which deters the illiterati because we use words of more than two syllables and know how to punctuate.
Cliff Coggin Kent England
"Anzaniste" wrote in message
Could it be that the format of this site is less user friendly than others such as Mad Modder or Practical Machinist or even the Model Engineer site?
On 02/12/2014 14:03:37, Cliff Coggin wrote:

+1 .........and the messages are threaded which makes conversation easier to follow.
I could lend you a text speak dictionary, if yer 1nt :-)
--
mick

"mick" wrote in message
On 02/12/2014 14:03:37, Cliff Coggin wrote:

+1 .........and the messages are threaded which makes conversation easier to follow.
I could lend you a text speak dictionary, if yer 1nt :-)
--
mick

Good of you offer Mick, but I'll wait until I have had the lobotomy thanks.

and, might I add, no-one exercising "ownership" which blights several forums I view. One of the best attributes of this group is the wide variety of skills and experience which used to beg interesting questions and informative answers. What is right being decided on the basis of understanding and knowledge rather than how many shout for a particular answer or what Wiki says. A strange form of democracy that :-)
Continuing to downsize. Anyone interested in a Clarkson T & C grinder??
--
Roland Craven
nr Exeter, Devon UK.
wrote in message

from speedshift.co.uk - used them loads of times. Even full height is only
Andrew
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 10:33:16 -0000, "Andy Parker"
me too :>/
Me too :/
With a a proper Usenet news reader. Turnpike.
John
--
JC Morrice
snipped-for-privacy@pentode.demon.co.uk

Greetings Andrew, I check this newsgroup with Agent almost every day. Like so many newsgroups it has pretty much dried up. I also read rcm almost every day but I'm pretty close to giving up on it because there is almost no metalworking discussed. Most messages are posted by right wing lunatics. Cheers, Eric
On 13/11/2014 16:38, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I check in most days with Thunderbird and a News reader on the tablet when away. I much prefer the "Newsgroup" format and whilst a member of some dislike Forums. Also a member of a number of Yahoo Groups (the non political ones).
Whilst here a Merry Christmas to all our readers!
Richard