Quick Roll Call

From my perspective a newsgroup is infinitely preferable to a web forum. No unnecessary pictures, no silly emoticons, no distracting colours, and best of all no advertisements. All it has is the English language which deters the illiterati because we use words of more than two syllables and know how to punctuate.

Cliff Coggin Kent England

Could it be that the format of this site is less user friendly than others such as Mad Modder or Practical Machinist or even the Model Engineer site?

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

+1 .........and the messages are threaded which makes conversation easier to follow.

I could lend you a text speak dictionary, if yer 1nt :-)

Reply to
mick

+1 .........and the messages are threaded which makes conversation easier to follow.

I could lend you a text speak dictionary, if yer 1nt :-)

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

and, might I add, no-one exercising "ownership" which blights several forums I view. One of the best attributes of this group is the wide variety of skills and experience which used to beg interesting questions and informative answers. What is right being decided on the basis of understanding and knowledge rather than how many shout for a particular answer or what Wiki says. A strange form of democracy that :-)

Continuing to downsize. Anyone interested in a Clarkson T & C grinder??

Reply to
Roland Craven

Roland

Always interested in a Clarkson. Pity you're in Exeter. Email me the details to: Charles-at- littlewrongs-dot-org-dot-uk

Thanks

Charles

Reply to
charles

from speedshift.co.uk - used them loads of times. Even full height is only

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I check it most, if not every, day.

While I'm not someone who makes models, I do some home machining etc. for various reasons and find it useful.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Still here and alive and kicking:)

... sadly several of the old gang from years past are no longer with us :(

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I have a look most days and all the newsgroups I look at I use Thunderbird to read. Sadly postings seemed to have diminished in frequency on the 4 newsgroups I follow, rec.crafts.metalworking might be an exception but most of that traffic is unrelated to metalworking.

Reply to
David Billington

I find YouTube a remarkable source of information on a whole range of practical topics.

I'd struggle to think of something I've looked for and not found an example of someone who has done it, generally several you can compare. People even show their 'disasters' and you can even learn from those. Of course, for subjects related to this group, the range of techniques for a given task vary a great deal- depending on the skill and facilities of the presenter but that is, in itself, useful in my view.

OK, sometimes some presenters lack 'presentation skills' but you can generally get something useful from their videos. Plus, of course, some are in foreign languages but that is the beauty of video- if a picture paints a 1000 words, how much better is a video ;-)

I've picked up countless 'tips' and techniques in addition to the maim topics I've searched for. It really is a vast resource.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I check most every day but lots of the time can't help because I'm on an island north of Seattle. I have just about given up on rcm because of all the politics and trolls. I don't really see that here. I make my living as a machinist but it is also a hobby. So it's convenient that I own a machine shop to work in. And it's on my 10 or so acres

300 feet from my house. Eric
Reply to
etpm

Im still lurking here, although less than I used to. Work and Kids seem to take up more time now...

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Too true Andrew, too true. Both Mark and Tim were good chaps. Tim's Jones and Shipman 520 is in my hands and awaiting reawakening

Charles

Reply to
charles

I'm still here with an nntp reader. Don't post much unless it's something that I can leap into with a useful comment.

Occasionally I dip into RCM, but haven't posted there for a long time.

I'm ashamed to say that I've drifted over to Practical Machinist, HomeWorkshopMachinist and a couple of other web based bulletin boards.

I don't feel proud of this :-(

Regards

Reply to
Mark Rand

Don't feel bad about it Mark - I've been known to meet you on those forums (fora?) myself :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

forum, fora, antenna, antennae, etc (already plural even in its abbreviation)

Reply to
gareth