Quick Roll Call

On 15/11/2014 5:26 PM, Richard wrote:

Aye, same here but no tablet . I prefer the format here rather than signing up to a Forum
Bluey

I'm a relatively new user of this group, ie some 2 years, but have been reading other groups for over 12.
Regards wasbit
On Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:38:16 PM UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:

?
Nice topic Andrew
The answer is that no, I don't come here regularly. It's too quiet.
However one of the greatest things about this group in its heyday was that you had intelligent people, posting helpful stuff in a single forum. I hate the way that web forums like MadModder (which has some good stuff) b elieve that having multiple sections makes it easier to read things. It act ually means that I ignore some sections. Only half of the sections have bee n posted in this month suggesting a lack of vibrancy that rivals this group
Charles
wrote in message

On the various forums I frequent I almost always sort by 'unread posts' thus seeing everything new irrespective of which sub-forum it has been posted in. This would seem to alleviate your concern?
Andrew
On Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:38:16 PM UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Can anybody explain the difference between a forum and a news group. I have been involved in the former for some time but have only recently come across newsgroups.
"Anzaniste" wrote in message

News Groups are a text only form of communication held on 'News Servers' the information passing from one to another and theoretically persisting for ever. You employ a program called a 'News Reader' that downloads to your pc content of newsgroups that you subscribe to. They pre-date internet communications based on graphical interfaces by several years. News Groups are unmoderated, and posts cannot be deleted as they will exist somewhere on the www.
The content of many news groups has been 'lifted' by web based 'sites' and presented as though it is a discussion forum - some even claim to have the copyright on content, which they don't as it rests with the originator.
Andrew
Thanks Andrew for the explanation, does mean that there arn't threads?
On Sunday, November 23, 2014 4:00:24 PM UTC, Anzaniste wrote:

Andy
Topics, yes. Readable in a time series, yes. That probably equals threads.
I don't get hung up on News Servers vs Web. That's like arguing about going in the saloon or the public bar. I'll go to whichever one has the best atmosphere and conversation.
Charles
wrote in message

I have no problem with people reading the posts, or indeed contributing, via a web service. But I DO have a problem when those web services claim the content as their own !
BTW several Newsreaders refer to sequences of postings in time order as 'threaded' so I suppose that's where the term 'threads' has come from in forums.
Andrew
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:18:42 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"

Those headers are in every post, so news readers (whether behind your screen or in google's or Yahoooo's data centres) can work out which posts are in reply to what posts. Then it's easy for them to work out threads or conversations, even if the subject gets changed within the thread.
--

Mark Rand
RTFM

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:38:26 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"

Given that it took me a week to see the message, I guess I'm no longer checking once a day...
I cancelled my Giganews account a couple of years ago and started using Eternal September, but I still use Usenet, rather than a web based front end.
Given the flurry of interest you've stirred up, maybe we'll have a renaissance :-)
--

Mark Rand
RTFM

"Mark Rand" wrote in message wrote:

Curses Mark you've seen through my cunning plan :)
Andrew
On Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:38:16 PM UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Errrmm....I recently started looking here again, but haven't really spent much time reading it for a couple of years now, just a little too quiet. Don't use a news reader anymore, just log into it via Google. Still, it is nice to see that I still recognise most of the names responding in here.
"Peter Neill" wrote in message

We're having a renaissance here Peter so good to see you back!
It's a case of 'Use it or lose it'
Andrew
On Friday, 21 November 2014 22:58:42 UTC, Peter Neill wrote:

Same here. I've got google set up to send me a daily digest of the groups activities, although the digest's reliability can be a bit sporadic at times. The big problem now, is there are far too many places to chat/discuss, so lots of once popular newsgroups/forums just don't have the activity they once did.
Moray
On Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:38:16 PM UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Sorry to say that Ive always used the google interface for this NG. Just never got round to setting up a proper reader...
Dave