Reseating a tyre bead

Pulled the old 100kva generator out of the store yard with the tractor to get ready for eldest daughters birthday party in't middle of
field. Found one of the four tubeless tyres was flat and having moved was unseated from the rim - tyre and rim are sound. How the heck do you re-seat them?
I've seen mad Icelandic 4x4 merchants on't telly do it with butane from a cigarette lighter refill, but try as I may it doesn't work for me!
AWEM
On 19 May, 21:36, "Andrew Mawson"

Wrap a rope round the tyre in the middle tie it off and then with a bar threaded thru the loop twist it round like a tourniquet. It tightens up in the middle and pushes the edges out.
John S.
In article

Also, take the valve core out, then hook it up to the biggest compressor you can find. Once the bead is seated, replace the core and fill as normal.
--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are an X3 mill, a

Wrap a rope round the tyre in the middle tie it off and then with a bar threaded thru the loop twist it round like a tourniquet. It tightens up in the middle and pushes the edges out.
John S.
That works, but I have only found a need to do that with new tires/tyres. A good supply of compressed air helps a lot! I have a contractor grade compressor.
Steve R.

tractor
moved
for
Wrap a rope round the tyre in the middle tie it off and then with a bar threaded thru the loop twist it round like a tourniquet. It tightens up in the middle and pushes the edges out.
John S.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the tourniquet method first - just found a Youtube video of a chap 'exploding' a tyre back onto the rim using Easystart (basically ether) - may try that if the first method foils me.
AWEM
On Thu, 20 May 2010 08:14:01 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

I guess that if all else fails, you could jack that axle up, take the wheel off and take it to the nearest tyre shop.
It's not in the true, independent, spirit of things, but it works surprisingly well :-)
Mark Rand RTFM

tractor
moved
for
Wrap a rope round the tyre in the middle tie it off and then with a bar threaded thru the loop twist it round like a tourniquet. It tightens up in the middle and pushes the edges out.
John S.
OK I tried the tourniquet and it almost worked, but as the tyre had sat flat for a while it had too much permanent 'set' at one point to close up.
Then I tried the carb cleaner method and it worked superbly. First time it popped on ok but I made the mistake of rolling the tyre to the compressor and it unseated again on one side. Second time again it popped on but I brought the compressor to tyhe tyre and all is well - back on the genny and we're rolling!
AWEM
ps Mark nearest tyre place is a 7 mile round trip so to be avoided if poss!
On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:30:05 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
I guess the alternative would be to breathe into the tyre after a good night out ;-)
Regards, Tony

Wot and corrode all the spokes ?
john s.

Might be wrong, but didnt tyre fitters used to sit on the tyre, bounce up and down, whilst putting air in to "Bang" the tyre on to the rim with air pressure when it "caught" enough to inflate. Having said that, I guess a tractor tyre is too big for that !!! Bob

On May 19, 9:36pm, "Andrew Mawson"

I am informed by my son that instead of lighter fuel you should use a 'reasonable quantity' (whatever that is) of brake cleaner. He has done this often to seat tyres on various Merc taxis.
Its not something I would do in an enclosed space and I would use a flame on the end of a long stick!
John H

Use soapy water to lube the rim and tire. Use air pressure to seat it, and bleed down to normal pressure.
Steve R.
On May 19, 9:36pm, "Andrew Mawson"

What nobody has asked is why you'd need a 100KVA generator, in the middle of a field for a birthday party? Exactly what sort of party is planned? Are you having The Who to play live or something? 100 KVA is beyond the mere requirements of a jelly and ice cream
Charles
Charles wrote:

My son would probably make good use of it with his PA and lighting rig ;) He has had problems in a couple of 'open field' events where the power supply was a little flaky ...
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

tractor
moved
for
What nobody has asked is why you'd need a 100KVA generator, in the middle of a field for a birthday party? Exactly what sort of party is planned? Are you having The Who to play live or something? 100 KVA is beyond the mere requirements of a jelly and ice cream
Charles
You use what you have. I have a 2KW single phase genny that stalls if you plug a Hoover in and the 100KVA three phase one that I used to drive the induction furnace. OK overkill but one likes a bit of leeway <G>
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

And here I was wondering what you could do with a spare 100kW or so in a back garden party, and after the sound, lighting, cooking etc ..
On Fri, 21 May 2010 01:17:30 -0700 (PDT), Charles

It all depends on how much jelly and ice cream you plan to make available, and what delivery mechanism you have in mind. The possibilities are endless...
Regards, Tony
Tony Jeffree wrote:

I expect the cake is being delivered in a JCB bucket!
Bob

play
jelly
No, cake not being delivered by JCB, but I understand some of the adults have asked for a Diggerland experience, and a series of tractor rides for the youngsters.
Quite a few are camping in the orchard, and the wicked side of me is tempted to let the goats and sock lambs in there as dawn breaks - should ensure nobody oversleeps <G>
AWEM