Reseating a tyre bead

Pulled the old 100kva generator out of the store yard with the tractor to get ready for eldest daughters birthday party in't middle of field. Found one of the four tubeless tyres was flat and having moved was unseated from the rim - tyre and rim are sound. How the heck do you re-seat them?

I've seen mad Icelandic 4x4 merchants on't telly do it with butane from a cigarette lighter refill, but try as I may it doesn't work for me!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Wrap a rope round the tyre in the middle tie it off and then with a bar threaded thru the loop twist it round like a tourniquet. It tightens up in the middle and pushes the edges out.

John S.

Reply to
John S

Might be wrong, but didnt tyre fitters used to sit on the tyre, bounce up and down, whilst putting air in to "Bang" the tyre on to the rim with air pressure when it "caught" enough to inflate. Having said that, I guess a tractor tyre is too big for that !!! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

In article , John S writes

Also, take the valve core out, then hook it up to the biggest compressor you can find. Once the bead is seated, replace the core and fill as normal.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

I am informed by my son that instead of lighter fuel you should use a 'reasonable quantity' (whatever that is) of brake cleaner. He has done this often to seat tyres on various Merc taxis.

Its not something I would do in an enclosed space and I would use a flame on the end of a long stick!

John H

Reply to
Gill Harris

Use soapy water to lube the rim and tire. Use air pressure to seat it, and bleed down to normal pressure.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Wrap a rope round the tyre in the middle tie it off and then with a bar threaded thru the loop twist it round like a tourniquet. It tightens up in the middle and pushes the edges out.

John S.

That works, but I have only found a need to do that with new tires/tyres. A good supply of compressed air helps a lot! I have a contractor grade compressor.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

tractor

moved

Wrap a rope round the tyre in the middle tie it off and then with a bar threaded thru the loop twist it round like a tourniquet. It tightens up in the middle and pushes the edges out.

John S.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the tourniquet method first - just found a Youtube video of a chap 'exploding' a tyre back onto the rim using Easystart (basically ether) - may try that if the first method foils me.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I guess that if all else fails, you could jack that axle up, take the wheel off and take it to the nearest tyre shop.

It's not in the true, independent, spirit of things, but it works surprisingly well :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

tractor

moved

Wrap a rope round the tyre in the middle tie it off and then with a bar threaded thru the loop twist it round like a tourniquet. It tightens up in the middle and pushes the edges out.

John S.

OK I tried the tourniquet and it almost worked, but as the tyre had sat flat for a while it had too much permanent 'set' at one point to close up.

Then I tried the carb cleaner method and it worked superbly. First time it popped on ok but I made the mistake of rolling the tyre to the compressor and it unseated again on one side. Second time again it popped on but I brought the compressor to tyhe tyre and all is well - back on the genny and we're rolling!

AWEM

ps Mark nearest tyre place is a 7 mile round trip so to be avoided if poss!

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I guess the alternative would be to breathe into the tyre after a good night out ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Wot and corrode all the spokes ?

john s.

Reply to
John S

What nobody has asked is why you'd need a 100KVA generator, in the middle of a field for a birthday party? Exactly what sort of party is planned? Are you having The Who to play live or something? 100 KVA is beyond the mere requirements of a jelly and ice cream

Charles

Reply to
Charles

My son would probably make good use of it with his PA and lighting rig ;) He has had problems in a couple of 'open field' events where the power supply was a little flaky ...

Reply to
Lester Caine

tractor

moved

What nobody has asked is why you'd need a 100KVA generator, in the middle of a field for a birthday party? Exactly what sort of party is planned? Are you having The Who to play live or something? 100 KVA is beyond the mere requirements of a jelly and ice cream

Charles

You use what you have. I have a 2KW single phase genny that stalls if you plug a Hoover in and the 100KVA three phase one that I used to drive the induction furnace. OK overkill but one likes a bit of leeway

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It all depends on how much jelly and ice cream you plan to make available, and what delivery mechanism you have in mind. The possibilities are endless...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

And here I was wondering what you could do with a spare 100kW or so in a back garden party, and after the sound, lighting, cooking etc ..

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I expect the cake is being delivered in a JCB bucket!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No, cake not being delivered by JCB, but I understand some of the adults have asked for a Diggerland experience, and a series of tractor rides for the youngsters.

Quite a few are camping in the orchard, and the wicked side of me is tempted to let the goats and sock lambs in there as dawn breaks - should ensure nobody oversleeps

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson