Taper shank milling cutters

I was recently given some as-new taper shank milling cutters (ex MoD I believe), and I am at a loss to know how to use them!

They are 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2 inch, with 6 flutes, and cutting lengths of around 2 inches. The shanks have Brown and Sharpe tapers, with tangs (no draw bar threads).

With some effort I can convert B&S to MT2, and drill and tap them for a draw bar, but I wonder how they are intended to be used (and why they all have such long cutting lengths).

Any ideas appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
mikecb1