Test of IQ

This came up on another forum:

Any takers? I managed 118.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Amazingly I scored 129. I suspect that this was rather more due to luck than judgement, as quite frankly I didn't have a clue about some of them and just guessed.

I mean, Nietzsche is to Liebowitz.....???? Beyond me.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Do you mean the basic one or the TA3 one?

I've just done the basic one and got 136. Haven't tried the other yet. Didn't have a clue about some of the spatial tests but the rest was mainly ok. Not really sure what relation the OSS bears to the CIA or Skinner to Freud mind you. I'd say that was a fairly hard test, mainly because it was all timed. I've done Mensa ones where you just have an overall time and after sorting out the easy ones like the maths, logic and verbal stuff I can use what's left to puzzle over the geometrical rotations if they're particularly nasty. It's much harder when you only have 90 seconds on the clock per question and you start panicking because no pattern is emerging. Also doesn't help being colourblind if they use the wrong colours and you can't see the patterns properly. That screwed me on the 5 second memory test because only the yellow squares (think it was yellow) stood out well so I just looked at those.

Reply to
Dave Baker

They must change the questions, I didn't see that one & certainly wouldn't have a clue as to the answer. With some wild guesses, notably the squares with the green 'feathers' where I had not the first idea what they were looking for, and the memorising of patterns & recalling them where I glazed over towards the end, I got 135! Is that what's known as 'intelligent guesswork'

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

You could be right, I haven't re-visited the site, but I'd guess they would have other choices so you couldn't go back to the same ones and gradually work your ratings up :-))

I'll be Glasgow-bound in the new van on Thursday, will probably drop off your ring gauges if I remember to put them in the van....

No timber lining or floor covering yet, so can't take anything serious, should be with us on Tuesday, so have to put some miles on it!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Tried the TA3 one now and didn't much like it. One of the questions was something like "What's the standard method of assigning volumes to manifolds in Euclidian space?" I mean stroll on. Then there were at least two about artists and I wouldn't know a Matisse from a hole in the head. Anyway got

131 but have no idea out of what.
Reply to
Dave Baker

Just out of curiosity can anyone who's tried this actually do the 'remember the pattern in 5 seconds' thing? I mean really do it properly like you see the four possible answers and know which one it is rather than guess? Is there some part of the brain designed to handle this sort of thing I just don't have?

Reply to
Dave Baker

I'm afraid that me and half a bottle of very good South African wine only managed 118. Bugger, I can't get those silly choose the missing square things at the moment :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

When I was 12 I could. That was a long while ago!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

The wine might have fared better without your help ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

It thought so too.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I'll admit to 117. Some of the questions required knowledge not intelligence Completely baffled by most of the pattern selecting things.

To answer a query. The About our Tests page says they have a large bank of questions and produce a fresh set each time.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

No special trick here, you just have to equate it to things that you are familiar with.

Picture comes up - imagine it looks like a walking stick and the letter K (for example), when you see the four choices it's easy to pick out the one you want.

You must be doing something right though, I got 134 here.

Reply to
Duncan Munro

Hi Peter, I cannot open it & the site because I do not have "Flash Player". To install Flash player it says I have to accept the Google tool bar which I don't want.

Reply to
Croft

By not accepting the Google tool bar you get 200 bonus points which means you are the current leader - well done.

Reply to
John Stevenson

from Peter Neill

That was nothing whatever to do with the people - the names were simply there to 'hang a hat on' as it were. The question was to do with head and facial hair. The first had a beard and moustouche and the second had long hair but clean shaven. The second set were blond rather than dark.

The green feathers gave me the most problem :(

J (124) G

Reply to
JG

from "Dave Baker"

I've now done both - 126 in the basic and 136 in the TA3.

How much of the TA3 is down to doing the basic one first I don't know but I suspect that it will have some effect.

JG

Reply to
JG

Tried the TA3 but there are too many subjective questions that are based on American general knowledge; did the basic one and scored 141! Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

There's some nice puzzles on the site too. The most interesting, to me anyway, is puzzle 3 in level 5. The spatial arrangement ones I can't be doing with but this one is a set of 12 weights hung off a fulcrum which you have to work out the values for. It seems to be very much suited to the engineering mind. At first glance it looks impossible but as you work through it you realise there are only certain possibilities for some positions and fairly soon one number becomes fixed regardless of the options. That gives you options for what must be balancing it on the other side and it becomes apparent that only one possibility works which then lets you go back to the first side and fill that in too. You end up left with only two weights and a simple calculation to see which values go into each. I won't give clues as to where to start on it but I'd be interested to hear how other people with an engineering bent get on with it.

Reply to
Dave Baker