Meaning of mass transfer limitation and diffusion limitation

Hi! evveryone I am reading a article about metallocene catalyzed polymerization. There is a below writings :

" In a semibatch slurry reactor,the concentration of macromonomers increases with time,while the concen-tration of ethene may decrease due to mass transfer limitations. Diffusion limitations also broaden the molecular weight distribution in copolymerizations."

I would like to know the meanings of mass transfer limitations and diffusion limitations.

Would you inform me about that? I majored the chemistry, so I am not familiar with a term about polymer.

Thank you

Reply to
hyh

Mass transfer includes both diffusion and convection of matter.

Diffusion is decreases as the molecular weight increases, so the ethene, being a smaller molecule than the macromonomer, will diffuse faster. As it reacts, it's concentration decreases thereby increasing the concenctration of the remaining monomers - the macromonomer in this case.

John Aspen Research, -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek