Vertex Chamfer limitation

I've been using the vertex chamfer to put a 3 sided chamfer in the inside corner of pockets. I've noticed that if the pocket is created by extruding a sketch (whether a boss, or a cut), there seems to be a limitation as to the size of the chamfer. It has nothing to do with running past the edge of the part.

For example, extrude block 10" on a side, 2" thick. On the top of this extrude a boss 6" on a side, 2" thick. Next, put an extruded cut 3" on a side on one corner of the boss, down to the top of the 10" extrusion. Now put a vertex chamfer in the resulting corner. The largest size that will work is .471" and change. Why?

I haven't been able to figure out the limiting factor(s). Has anyone else seen this problem? The only workaround that I've found is to create sketches, planes, etc. and put an extrusion in the corner. Since parts may have dozens of these corner, that is a real time consuming project.

Reply to
ed_1001

[...]

It's amazing! Even after using this software for 10 years, you can still learn something new. I didn't even know you could DO a vertex chamfer like that. Guess I've never had the need for it, and/or never paid any attention to the feature dialog.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I'm using SW2006, SP4.1. I tried it on SP3.4. Same result.

Gil Alsberg wrote:

Reply to
ed_1001

Ed, It work fine on my machine (SW2006, SP3.4). what version,SP do you use?

Gil

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

Ed,

I see the same problem on 2006 SP4.1. .471" works, .472" fails due to "geometry condition"

Art

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Ok. Now I know it's not just me. Now to figure out why..... Any ideas where to look?

Art Woodbury wrote:

"geometry condition"

Reply to
ed_1001

It has something to do with the location and depth of the Cut-Extrude. Making 2 edges of the cut feature coincident with edges of the second Boss-Extrude triggers the construction failure. This is essentially making a cut with Zero remaining wall thickness on

2 faces.

If you drag the sketch for the cut "into" the part (so there is finite wall thickness all around after the cut) the vertex chamfer seems to have no problems. Drag the sketch the other way so 2 of its edges are "outside" the part and the same failure occurs.

Change the depth of the cut so it is greater or lesser than the depth of the previous extrude, and the chamfer works.

"geometry condition"

Reply to
Art Woodbury