Solvent casting of SBS block copolymer

I'm trying to solvent cast high molecular weight styrene-butadiene-styrene (SBS) block copolymer from a toluene solution. However, I find that it is difficult to obtain a smooth film of uniform thickness. I have tried floating the solution on glycerol and although this reduces cracking and aids in handling, I still get films with poor surface features and undesired dimensions (due to shrinkage).

I have contimplated the idea of sandwiching the toluene solution between two immiscible solvent layers to generate a more uniform film. This would maintain the fluidity required to relieve internal stresses and aid in film extraction, but it would also mitigate toluene evaporation and provide a more equilibrium SBS film.

My question is, does anyone know of a pair of solvents that are (1) immiscible with toluene, styrene, and butadiene, (2) have liquid densities that are greater than and less than that of toluene, and (3) exhibit lower volatility/partial pressures at room temp. than toluene?

Thanks in advance,

Phillip

Reply to
Phillip

You could try casting the material on a layer of silicone release paper such as is used in the label industry. There are many different techniques to control the thickness. After you dry the coating in an oven (or let it evaporate at room temperature), it's easy to peel the coating off.

I used to do this at 3M for ~ 11 years, so I can give you plenty more details as needed. I'm just not sure if this is an option for you or not.

John

Reply to
John Spevacek