Sugar residue and extrusion

Anyone have an idea what kind of mess I'm going to run into recycling PP with some sugar residue on it? Temps at about 250 C.

Thanks,

Robre

Reply to
robre

Depends on the exposure time, not just the temperature, and how much sugar there is relative to the PP. Sugar has decomposition temperature of about 180 - 190 C. Burnt sugar stinks bad, not even a chemist likes it, and it will leave black specs in the resin. Since this recycled PP, maybe the expectations aren't as high?

John Aspen Research, -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek

Thanks, John. I figured it would stink, but it's not a huge issue with this recycled PP. I was more worried about any adverse reactions with the PP. It will be used in products that need a certain amount of UV stability. AO and a HALS type stabilizer are added, but if there are enough radicals around produced during extrusion, even those can be overwhelmed.

I'm going to heat age it at 150 C for 120 hours, checking the melt flow before and after.

robre

Reply to
robre