Applying a pinned type contraint. Mechanica

Please clarify the application of a constraint.

If I have a through hole on a part that acts like pinned pivot.

I would allow the axis perpendicular to the hole to be free. Fix the other 2 axes.

I would allow free movement on the force perpendicular hole. This is a shaft, not a nut and bolt.

Would I then have to fix the 2 other forces? Or will the fixed axis take care of this?

I am also selecting the 2 inner surfaces of the hole for the constraint.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Pete

You are talking about structure right? OK. You might want to get a copy of Vince Adams book "Building Better Products with Finite Element Analysis" Personally I've become a believer in cylindrical coordinate systems... then you constrain exactly what is going on (surface constrained in R) You do have to fix the motion somewhere in the model... might just be a point or an edge..

-D

Pete wrote:

Reply to
meld_b