Family Table, UDF or part files for hardware.

Anyone have a preference for creating a small amount of standard hardware items? Nuts, bolts and washers.

Probably 5 different sizes all with varying lengths. These will be used by various users in assemblies.

Each part is modeled as an individual component.

I was thinking of making these family tables, with the bolt length the only variable.

Or would this be better as a UDF? (I have never used these before)

Current system is Pro/E Wildfire and Intralink 3.3

Reply to
Pete

goto proecentral, not sure of website address, don't have it handy. they have some files for download. Also do a search on the web. cheers Craig

Reply to
craig stevens

The files are not the problem.

It is the format in which to use them.

part files, family table, or UDF.

Reply to
Pete

The advantage with using family tabled parts is that you can replace them in assembly as needed without redoing the constraints. Also, parameters that may be used in a BOM can be included in the family table.

For my $0.02, UDF's are OK for features like bolt patterns, slots, etc... But use family tabled parts for components.

BTW, It is fairly easy to create the family table, especially if you already have a defined part for one of the instances, and you do yourself a great service by naming the needed dimensions/features so the table can be understood.

I heard a rumor that > The files are not the problem.

Reply to
Chris Gosnell