Screwed up family table

Hello all,
I came across a very annoying bug/problem.
I created a family table of a very large assembly with a lot of sub (-sub
etc.) -assies with their respective famtables and all instances only switch between different instances of subassemblies. All works fine untill I add a third column in the family table of this top-level assembly. I tries almost everything, nothing seems to help. This assembly seems 'broken'.
Names of instances get all screwed up and they won't regenerate/open correctly.
None of the subassies shows this behaviour.
I'm about to recreate the top-level assy, but I'm still hoping someone recognizes this behaviour and has the cure.
TIA,
Gr,
Speedy Dan
Running 2001390 on W2k, no Intralink.