Hitting Physical Memory Peak when loading assembly

Hi,

xtop crashes when hitting physical memory limit of 2 GBytes.

We tried the /3GB option in the boot.ini file, but it does not work.

Any suggestions?

Jacques

Reply to
Jacques Lamer

That's the ceiling in 32-bit land, physical + virtual.

If I'm not mistaken that switch only works with the server edition of Windows.

There are some things you can try to do to lower your memory usage:

Shrinkwrap Zones Simplified Reps

Some of these may require Advanced Assembly.

If you still can't sink below the 2GB limit then you need new hardware. Something that supports 64-bit pointers (HP/SUN/SGI/IBM), which isn't likely to be cheap.

Chris

Reply to
Anonymous

Another step is required to have Pro/E access more memory. The following is an excerpt from

outlines the steps to increase the per-process memory limit for XP, but it applies to W2K as well. I'm assuming that you've rebooted after adding the /3GB to the boot.ini file.

**** Excerpt from TPI 111330.htm **** Perform a local Pro/ENGINEER installation of Release 2001, datecode 2001360 or later. Make sure you create a backup copy of //obj/xtop.exe before patching so you can restore normal operation should the file become unusable.
  1. Patch //obj/xtop.exe using IMAGECFG.

As of Release 2001, build 2001440 or later of Pro/ENGINEER, IMAGECFG can be found in: //obj directory. Imagecfg is also available in the Windows 2000 Resource Kit. For example, to modify the target file xtop.exe:

Imagecfg -l xtop.exe

At this point, the process is complete. Pro/ENGINEER should be able to access more than 2GB of memory.

**** End Excerpt ****

Let us know your results!

Robert DiMarzio

Reply to
Robert DiMarzio

This only works on certain builds of 2000. I think its the one with the server extensions, but I'm not too sure. We had exactly the same problem and tried the fix but to no avail.

Reply to
Terrytubby

Hello-

TPI 111330.htm Works. I get Windows XP boxes to access up to 3GB of total memory all the time.

PS

"This post represents MY opinion and experiences only"

Reply to
PS