pro/mechanica pt 2

Hello again I have worked out how do asimple beam, and am satisfied that the results are correct. However, when i try and do an analysis of a sketched eam, even a square or round shape, i get no bending. Is there something i am missing. I am simply swapping the standard beam section in the analysis for one which when sketched has exactly thesame shape as the standard one

cheers Craig

Reply to
rec . music . makers . percussion . hand-drum

A "sketched beam"? A "square or round shape"? Let's say you wanted to do a study of a twelve inch I beam. What would your beam sketch look like? It would be a simple, straight line. When you got the sketch constrained and loaded, you'd click the 'New Beam' icon which would give you the opportunity to set a meterial and define the shape/size of the beam end profile. Lots of standard extruded shapes are available, including round, hollow round (pipe), hex pipe, eliptical pipe, i-beam and c-channel, square, etc. It really depends on what you've picked as defining the beam: a surface? curves? When you pick surface, this is thickened so you have a plate the shape of your sketch.

If you just made an oblong, it was probably expecting to select a surface that filled the inside of the sketch. It would have to assume a THICKNESS value and probably gave you something that was unbendable. Typically, with sketched beam profiles, the sketched lines are each turned into a beam section by using it as a path for "sweeping" the beam profile you define (c-channel, i-beam, square, etc). That's quite a different structure from filling the inside of a sketch with metal. And reacts differently.

Reply to
David Janes

I'm using a curve as my beam length, and trying to use a non standard section as the beam profile. As I am still learning, I am doing "baby steps", so that I can be confident of getting results that are accurate. So I just sketched a profile of a square, to ensure I am using the sketched profile correctly. However, when i am selecting the sketched profile of a square , i get no bending stress, leading me to think that i am not entering something incorrectly in my analysis, or on my beam setup.

cheers Craig

Reply to
rec . music . makers . percussion . hand-drum

I read your post, Craig. Are you, in any way, responding to my suggestions? Did you do one single thing I suggested? I'm sorry, I'm kinda lost! I don't see anything in response. Please, state your procedure for working with this beam idealization. Button push by button push, if you will, as if we were a really intellingent PTC Pro/HELP line. In the words of the immortal Jerry McGuire " Help us help you! "

Reply to
David Janes

wrote

I thought i was responding to your post. Anyway, I'll describe what i did

step 1 . create sketched curve

--> applications mechanica --> insert --> beam

Beam definition menu