ProIntralink 3.3 Admin Question: Assemblies Showing WIP Parts

Hi Gang

We have a medium size Intralink database. One question....

Say we have an assembly that is in a released state in Intralink. When a sub part on that assembly gets revised and the new revision goes to WIP (work in progress). We're finding that when you open the assembly it's showing the WIP part attached and not the latest released part. To us this is crazy. It should only show released subparts (if there is one). Is this something that I should be looking into the Toolkit to fix or can I change this as a settong somewhere?

Thanks Andy

Reply to
Andy

By default, Intralink will download the latest PIV of all files for an assembly. There is a setting that you can change to tell Intralink to down load the assembly in the as-saved condition.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

Hi Gang

We have a medium size Intralink database. One question....

Say we have an assembly that is in a released state in Intralink. When a sub part on that assembly gets revised and the new revision goes to WIP (work in progress). We're finding that when you open the assembly it's showing the WIP part attached and not the latest released part. To us this is crazy. It should only show released subparts (if there is one). Is this something that I should be looking into the Toolkit to fix or can I change this as a settong somewhere?

Thanks Andy

Wouldn't "As stored" solve this problem? If you have a revision "C" released version, you want to see this as it was configured; you don't want to see "C" with all the new parts that have been changed since "C" was released. If you check out with the default "Latest" as the selection criteria, you'll get all those newly revised components. So just select "As Stored" and Update to get your base configuration. Or get into the habit of doing baselines and saving them.

But, maybe your problem is also saying that you need more rigorous configuration management! If you're changing components in an assembly, maybe you really need a new assembly with a new name, number, description, not just a new revision letter. In the new assembly, you have a bunch of common parts with other revs and where significantly differernt, the new name/number/description can handle the new stuff w/o affecting previous revs of existing products. And, if you're getting into a lot of serious product variants, you need to get some serious, professional CM people to help. Personally, I like a situation where management gets the product configuration business figured out before I "put pencil to paper" (saves a lot of paper and time and aggravation).

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes