Shaded Print with Perspective

If I have a part or an assembly on screen I can shade it, then print off the image in colour or monochrome with no problems. The difficulty I am having is when I wish to print with Perspective applied. When I hit the print button or select print through the menu the printer dialog box pops up and the view loses the perspective. The only way around this I have found is to do a screen dump but then the print is of a limited quality.

The same problem arises when I wish to save the model as a jpeg file i.e. I cannot save a perspective view(except in drawing mode).

Does anyone know any solutions to this rather annoying problem? Thanks in advance.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin Rees

on

Makes you wonder why they bothered throwing in that perspective view when you can't do anything with it. Makes me think it was a freebie and cost them nothing because it's already embedded in ProductView. I can't swear to it, but I'd bet that you could do the shaded perspective printing with PV. Kind of an expensive answer to an annoyance if you don't already have the software, though.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

I forgot to mention that I am running 2001. So I take it that there is no improvement using Wildfire? By the way I've never heard of product view, is it expensive?

Martin.

Reply to
Martin Rees

Well, now I'm not sure where to even find it on the PTC website. It shows it listed under DIVISION ProductView, but when I click on it, the link's broken, no info. So now I'm not even sure they're selling it anymore. I'm guessing the price is in the thousands, but you'd do best to ask a sales rep. Or, better yet, maybe someone here has plunked down some cash and can give us the scoop.

Reply to
David Janes

improvement using Wildfire? By the way I've never heard of product view, is it expensive?

Do you have the PhotoRender module with 2001? Might try messing with it if you do. In WF2 it's not a *lot* of trouble to set up something that looks as good as model mode shading with perspective, rendering, saving as JPEG. I have read that WF3 is supposed to add shaded drw views, I believe. Might ask a re-seller about that or just keep in mind for future reference.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Martin, I've found several good uses for perspective views in ProE 2001 & WF. Though it was quite frustrating to set up in ProE 2001. I remember having the same problem (loosing view setups easily). I think perspective (outside of a drawing view or PhotoRender) is just intended for on-screen visualization purposes (like "real time PhotoRender" in WF). If you use Photo Render & understand how to set up "rooms" colors, textures & lighting; you can get some really awesome photo-realistic images with perspective. I generally use perspective in Photo Render however, I have also gotten some good images by just using a screen-shot application. That may work for you (I use a free tool: Gadwin PrintScreen...

With the Gadwin (or similar) tool you can set up your ProE view; hit a "hot key" to launch the screen capture application; drag a window around what you want to capture & then either print or save the image to a file. The image quality is not as sharp as PhotoRender output, but it's usually good enough. Regards, Mike D.

Reply to
md1